Wood insert and chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colestarkey26

May 12, 2014
Burgettstown pa
I pulled the front off of my old heatilator fireplace. I am looking at getting the timber wolf epi22 insert or something similar in price. If anyone has any other suggestions on an insert I would definitely appreciate it. My other question is do I need to put a double walled liner in when I have the terra cotta liner that is good or is single walled straight 6" stainless sufficient.

Single wall liner is sufficient, and will be plenty durable.
It is also a good idea to have the liner wrapped with insulation before its Installed. It will improve draft and reduce creosote buildup.

i agree with webby go with insulated single wall double wall is a real pain to install for an insert. It can be done and makes for a nice install but i dont think it is worth the trouble. There are not very many real advantages to double wall rigid over a good flex liner

I agree, single wall will be easier to install and less expensive. Do you know the inside dimension of the chimney flue? A 6" flexible liner will be 6.25" and if you add 1/2" of blanket insulation, that could add 1"-1.5" to the liner. They also make 1/4" insulation and pour down insulation that could work too.
The EPI22 is a good insert, but no bells or whistles.

It is an 8x8 terra cotta flue

I agree, single wall will be easier to install and less expensive. Do you know the inside dimension of the chimney flue? A 6" flexible liner will be 6.25" and if you add 1/2" of blanket insulation, that could add 1"-1.5" to the liner. They also make 1/4" insulation and pour down insulation that could work too.
The EPI22 is a good insert, but no bells or whistles.

it is 8 by 8 terracotta on a fireplace that is different

it is 8 by 8 terracotta on a fireplace that is different
I've seen 8"x12", but never 8"x8". I can't see that working very well.
Did it smoke out of the opening with an open fire?

that was what i was thinking also

The 8" x 8" terra cotta will be in the 6.5-6.75" inside range usually. When using a 6" flex liner that will be 6.25" OD, so adding any blanket insulation to that liner will be difficult if not impossible to get down. If you want insulation either the pour down mixture which will give you a small amount of insulation or break out the clay tiles then you would have room for a blanket wrap.

either way you will not get a zero clearance rating on the outside of the masonry with a 6" liner in a 8 by 8 flue tile there is just not enough room for enough insulation. We would break out the tiles i have been told but never used it that duraliner will fit and give you a zc rating. and i don't know maybe you have proper clearances so it may not be an issue all though i rarely see a chimney built with the proper clearances

Status
Not open for further replies.