Wood insert burn times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse83

Oct 25, 2013
WA
Hello,

I'm looking for a new wood insert and my budget is limited to under $1,600 for the insert since I have to also line my chimney. The models I've been looking at are; Drolet Escape 1800i, Summers Heat 50-SNC13I, and vogelzang colonial. Trying to heat a 1,000 sqf ok insulated house. From all the reviews these will work fine but the most important thing to me is the burn time. I don't want to have to start the fire every morning. Would any of these inserts last 8hrs or more?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_516906-6691...ct_price|0&page=1&facetInfo=Wood stove insert

http://www.lowes.com/pd_239295-7684...ct_price|0&page=1&facetInfo=Wood stove insert

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Vogelzan...od/Ntk-All/Ntt-wood%25252Binsert#.UmsMUPmsg1g

What are your fireplace dimensions? Is it a good looking fireplace? If it's aesthetically pleasing as is, and you don't need to hide anything, have you considered just setting a wood stove w/ a blower in the fireplace and not going the insert route?

Welcome to the site and good luck!

pen

enviro venice 1700...i bought one...i have only burnt it for about a week now....but each night i have loaded it up...with not the best of wood..dry wood... but not the best in btu's.....and after 8 hours..i have tons of coals left...my house is 1600 square feet...temps last couple of nights..in the upper 20's....and im waking up to a 75 degree house each morning...the venice runs about 1700...2000...

If you want long burn times, you want a large stove or a cat stove. Problem is aren't many cat inserts and most are expensive. There are, however, the Appalachian (Bay and smaller one) and the High Valley which are fairly reasonable as I understand it. But you may have to do some mods like some users here on hearth.com have, and there is limited mfr support.

Last edited:
I think the fireplace is kinda small to put anything in it. I don't have much room in front of the fireplace.
Here are my dimensions :

Front wide: 36"

Front tall: 23"

Back wide: 27"

Back tall: 16"

Top Deep: 19"

Bottom Deep: 24"

orley.jpg

This is the setup I have now. that stove came with the house and is not properly installed. It puts out tons of heat. but only lasts for 3hrs on a load.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, Jesse83. Where are you in the state, on the east side or west side? 1000 sf would normally call for a fairly small stove (under 1.8 cf or so) depending on climate and the house. Eight hours may be stretching it for a small non-cat stove. If long burn time is a major priority, you many want to consider stretching the budget a bit for a catalytic stove like Dave A suggests.

If you are on the cold side of the state, though, a larger stove around 2 cf may work. For example, I have friends over in the Colville area who would need every bit of 2 cf in a 1000 sf house.

Last edited:
I'm on the west side but at the 1,200 ft elevation. We are at the top of the hill so we get a lot of wind but not the temps of the east side. What's the general price range for a small cat stove? I haven't had any luck finding any.

I was considering the Drolet 1800i was well. Eventually purchased the Englander/Summers Heat insert. Price was the final deciding factor, as we used a 10% off coupon from Lowes. Regarding burn duration, I think 8 continuous hours of useful heat output would be difficult to achieve. I'm not familiar with the products Dave A referenced. However, I agree a catalytic stove may be required for consistent burns in the 8+ hour range. I'm happy to now know about some budget priced options.

I'm on the west side but at the 1,200 ft elevation. We are at the top of the hill so we get a lot of wind but not the temps of the east side. What's the general price range for a small cat stove? I haven't had any luck finding any.
Can you tell us a little more about your fireplace setup including dimensions? As pen suggested above, I'm wondering if a freestanding stove could be an option for you, either just outside the fireplace or a bit inside. If you could install a freestanding stove, you would have more options. Also, the efficiency of a freestander may be better. Very often a freestanding stove can be installed in or just outside a fireplace. If you could provide pictures, that would be even better.

That's an old Orley Jesse. That stove can eat (wood) and heat. Essentially it's a barrel stove with a window.

It sounds like you want the maximum capacity at a value price. For the stoves mentioned I think that would be the Drolet 1800i. Double check dimensions to be sure it fits.

I double checked the dimensions and the min tall clearance is 23 3/8". My fireplace is 23" tall. The stove is 22 5/8" tall but since I'm only 3/8" too short would this stove not be advised to install?

Bummer, when it's that close it usually leads to a whole lot of cursing. You will note that earlier the Enviro stove was mentioned. They are low height inserts. Take a look at the Enviro Kodiak 1700 and see what you think.

Thank you. I didn't even see that post up there. So far I have found 2 stoves brands that fit. The Enviro 1200 & 1700 series and Heatilator Eco Choice Wins18. I got a quote of $1,800 + tax for that one and $500 for a liner.

i paid 2000 for my venice 1700 installed..i already had a liner

Former Enviro 1700 owner here. Great stove, long burn times, and throws a ton of heat. It's a lot of stove for 1000 sqft

StayFitz, How long will your fire last before you can't start it up again?

A fully loaded stove might provide 5-6 hours of "useful" heat output. Coals are avail for re-light @ 8 hours, but temps are too low for any real heat

Status
Not open for further replies.