Wood insert for shallow fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gmr1

Jan 20, 2009
New Haven, CT
Looking to get a insert to supplement the oil heat in the semi-near future. The problem I'm running into is my fireplace depth. It's 16" at the center, but the back wall curves, so it's only 13" deep at the top near the flue damper. How far up in the box do I need full height? I really like inserts like the Hampton HI200, but I don't meet the depth requirements if I need 15 1/16" from top to bottom of the box I do seem to have the needed depth up to about 20" from the floor of the firebox. If it only needs 19" 5/8 for height, does it matter what the depth is above that point. It's plenty tall and wide, it's just the depth that concerns me. Any insight would be great.

Thanks! Greg

I have a similar situation, but it sounds like I have a little more height than you do. I installed a freestanding Lopi Answer stove instead of an insert - I liked the looks of a freestanding stove better. This stove is 16-1/4" deep and 28" high with legs, but the insert is 20" high and only requires 13-1/2" depth (the 13-1/2" depth is probably the same for the freestanding stove also - not sure). It's essentially the same stove for both with the insert not having legs. Pacific Energy makes something similar in size. I liked both of these - both were really solid construction. It really came down to the dealer - the Lopi dealer was more responsive and went the extra mile, whereas the PE dealer was not open half the time, and when he was, he didn't seem to know a lot about stoves. There seems to be more PE fans on this site, but I rarely hear any bad things about either stove.

The Lopi has a fully surrounded firebox, so the blower blows through that pretty well (though the volume of the blower noise, even on low, took a little getting used to) and distributes air into the room very nicely. I think the PE is similar. I would make sure you look at something with this kind of construction as you need all the help you can get with a small insert. Mine really puts out the heat. I have a 1200 square foot in Central NY and we get about 8000 degree days per year. The stove heats the whole house down to about 10 degrees, though it needs help getting the house up to temp in the mornings. Once there, it stays pretty comfortable. You do have to load more often with the small stoves, but they will definitely take a bite out of your oil bill if you tend to them. I wouldn't expect the advertised burn time for any of these stoves, but I wouldn't let that put you off either.

What's the overall opening size of the fireplace? Would it be possible to put a freestanding stove in the fireplace instead?

DBoon said:
The Lopi has a fully surrounded firebox, so the blower blows through that pretty well (though the volume of the blower noise, even on low, took a little getting used to) and distributes air into the room very nicely. I think the PE is similar. I would make sure you look at something with this kind of construction as you need all the help you can get with a small insert.

I'll look into those 2 models, and see who has them locally. Thanks for all the info. I'm a big minutemen fan, btw. I was too young to see them live, but I've seen Watt a bunch. Good stuff.

BeGreen said:
What's the overall opening size of the fireplace? Would it be possible to put a freestanding stove in the fireplace instead?
It's a trapazoid shape.

_____ ----------------------------
____/------------------------------
___/---------------------------------
__/------------------------------------
_-/--------------------------------------

The front width is just over 3', center width is about 35", and the back wall is 30" wide. most of the taper is towards the back.

It's 27 1/2" high inside.

The depth at the top of the rack is 17 1/2", tapers to 13" at the top near the damper.

I haven't looked at freestanding stoves as much, as I like the more streamlined look of the inserts better, and I don't have a ton of room in front of the fireplace (the hearth stone isn't real deep). How much do they typically extend out of the box?

Look at a free standing Jotul 3 CB w/short legs ( 25.5" high) 13" deep and ~22 wide. Top vent or rear vent. I would top vent this in the fireplace
It will fit in. Another free standing slightly smaller stove is the Hudson stove catskill model
These are 2 free standing models that would fit If you decide not to go w/ an insert.

Vermont castings has a small insert (duchwest) that should fit

Only my second post and someone already connected the avatar to the username. I'm pretty impressed.

gmr1 said:
DBoon said:
The Lopi has a fully surrounded firebox, so the blower blows through that pretty well (though the volume of the blower noise, even on low, took a little getting used to) and distributes air into the room very nicely. I think the PE is similar. I would make sure you look at something with this kind of construction as you need all the help you can get with a small insert.

I'll look into those 2 models, and see who has them locally. Thanks for all the info. I'm a big minutemen fan, btw. I was too young to see them live, but I've seen Watt a bunch. Good stuff.

BeGreen said:
It's a trapazoid shape.

_____ ----------------------------
____/------------------------------
___/---------------------------------
__/------------------------------------
_-/--------------------------------------

The front width is just over 3', center width is about 35", and the back wall is 30" wide. most of the taper is towards the back.

It's 27 1/2" high inside.

The depth at the top of the rack is 17 1/2", tapers to 13" at the top near the damper.

I haven't looked at freestanding stoves as much, as I like the more streamlined look of the inserts better, and I don't have a ton of room in front of the fireplace (the hearth stone isn't real deep). How much do they typically extend out of the box?

The hearth can be extended to accommodate the stove. There are many beautiful freestanding stoves to choose from depending on your personal needs and tastes, but the height will be the main limiting factor. However, some have a short leg option to lower the overall height. For example, the Jotul Castine would be a good fit with the short leg kit.

Otherwise, look at the Jotul C450 insert which can adjust for shallow depth fireplaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.