Wood insert, front floor protection....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram 1500 with an axe...

Minister of Fire
Mar 26, 2013
New Jersey
Hi all, now that I'm burning premium dry wood, my wood floor in front of the insert is getting very hot, I'd like to add some protection to the wood floor. How hot can that wood floor get before danger occurs?
Hottest point on the wood floor with maple tonite was 181 degrees....
Can you direct me to the right product to buy and where.....thanks so much.....

How far in front of the stove is the existing hearth protection?

I have 18 inches, then the wood floor, tile is 143, first plank of wood at hottest point was 181, cooler in other spots...

Google "hearth extender" or, if you are looking for a cheaper solution, "stove board". The "type 2" units offer r-value.

The first plank runs parallel with the stove, directly in the middle of the glass is where the highest temp reads, a small area yet concerning.....is 180 near a danger zone?....thanks all

Over 600, that's where IR gun goes to overheat....

You may need a new unit with a top temp of 1000F to determine if the stove is being overfired.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.