Wood Insert in a Majestic ZC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToeKnee

Nov 23, 2015
prescott arizona
Good Day All,

Newbie here, coming to you live from Prescott Valley, AZ. I Currently have Majestic SHR42A ZC fireplace. Looking to identify if i can put a wood burning insert or a free standing stove in this unit. if so, How does one decide the size of the insert or stove to go with?

Current primary heat source is Heat Pump. Looking for a heating solution to provide comfortable environment and primary source when outside temp is below 28 degrees.
Home is a single level 2800 Sq/Ft.
Pics attached of current Majestic dimensions and Fireplace setup.
I had a local FP store recommend Kuma Ashwood.

Thanks in advance,
Tony

Attachments

• SHR42A.JPG
    SHR42A.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 20151123_090756.jpg
    20151123_090756.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 20151123_090857.jpg
    20151123_090857.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 92
It MAY be possible to install an insert inside your ZC box, but I would be hesitant to put too much weight in there.
Your firebox is primarily fabricated from this sheet steel & does not have a whole lot of strength.
Putting a couple of hundred pounds in there may cause the metal to collapse. Also, the chimney system for this type of
unit is not rated for the elevated temperatures of a sealed woodburning unit. You will have to remove the damper & run an insulated stainless steel liner down the full length of the existing vent. You will also need to get creative on top of the chase to ensure you have a leakproof seal where the cap is attached.
I would compare the costs of an insert, liner & labor with the costs of a complete tear out & the installation of an EPA-rated woodburning fireplace, then make the decision.

One option would be to extend the hearth so that a freestanding, rear-vent stove could be placed in front of the fireplace. It would still need a full stainless liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.