Wood insert in a ZC Superior BR-42

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RSNovi

Feeling the Heat
May 12, 2010
Michigan
Sorry for starting another post, but I wanted to ask some more general questions.

I have spent most of the day researching wood inserts for my ZC fireplace and stopped by a couple of dealers. I realize the best approach is to just rip it out, but I prefer to not do that with a 32' chimney.

My measurements are:
Front width: 36"
Rear width: 24"
Height: 20" or 21.5 if I cut the lip off in the front
Depth: 17.25"

I see a lot of stoves have a min height of 21.5. Is it OK to just barely meet the min? What about installation?

From the picture you can see my fireplace is raised off the floor. The medium size inserts often stick out the front. Do these require a hearth that is flush to the floor or the inner box? Can I have the front stick out without the support.

I know a Jotul C350, Hampton HI200, and a PE Vista will go right in. I looked at the C350 today and the firebox is so small. I am not looking for really long burns, but is such small firebox able to accept standard logs? I like the looks of the Jotul quite a bit.

Thanks for your advice.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353198770.026085.jpg

Sorry for starting another post, but I wanted to ask some more general questions.

I have spent most of the day researching wood inserts for my ZC fireplace and stopped by a couple of dealers. I realize the best approach is to just rip it out, but I prefer to not do that with a 32' chimney.

My measurements are:
Front width: 36"
Rear width: 24"
Height: 20" or 21.5 if I cut the lip off in the front
Depth: 17.25"

I see a lot of stoves have a min height of 21.5. Is it OK to just barely meet the min? What about installation?

From the picture you can see my fireplace is raised off the floor. The medium size inserts often stick out the front. Do these require a hearth that is flush to the floor or the inner box? Can I have the front stick out without the support.

I know a Jotul C350, Hampton HI200, and a PE Vista will go right in. I looked at the C350 today and the firebox is so small. I am not looking for really long burns, but is such small firebox able to accept standard logs? I like the looks of the Jotul quite a bit.

Thanks for your advice.

View attachment 81518

I know the Lennox (country) inserts that are rated for Z/C fireplaces require a 19.5" min height requirements, These inserts that fit into Z/C box's generally have a small firebox

My Z/C box is raised off the floor like yours, they make a hearth support to fit between the bottom of insert and top of hearth to help support the insert, I thought I might have needed one while getting my insert installed, but turned out my insert is so tight in the Z/C box it cant tip out

Just bringing to the top for continued advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.