Wood insert in new home build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizz

Hey all, I've been doing a ton of research on the topic but am maybe more confused now then when we starting drawing our plans!

Currently in the middle of a new home construction on 10 wooded acres in Southern BC. Very hot summers, mild winter with temps averaging around 32 F for Dec, Jan and Feb.

Wood is unlimited ponderosa pine and fir.

So the new house is a large 1700 sq foot main with 3 bed's upstairs for a total of around 2500 sq. R24 insulation, 2x6 construction, good windows and doors.

Chimney will be 18', wood framed and straight. The opening can be framed out anyway we'd like at this point and we have poured our footing to accommodate the push out for the fire to keep it relatively flush and clean looking.

Electric furnace and AC in the basement, good HVAC system.

Plan is to use the wood fireplace insert for 90% of our heat. I work from the house, so keep the fire going is not a problem. Most are probably thinking why not a wood stove... if you can believe it, looks (wife).

So, we've been shopping around for wood fire inserts - budget is max $4000 for the insert itself.

Wife really likes the Morso 5660 but after reading around a bit it sounds like it might not be our best choice? My installer loves the Enviro 1700 and the specs look good but it's not as minimalist as the Morso.

I like the Regency fires a lot as well, not sure of the prices on these though.

Any suggestions for people who have been in the similar position? We can build to suit any insert, mainly looking for high output, good burn times and clean/modern looking units. I could personally sacrifice looks for function though, the looks is mainly the wifes mandate :)

Welcome.

Do you realize the inserts you mention are to be installed in an existing masonry fireplace?

A zero clearance fireplace is designed to be installed in a framed opening. There are plenty of EPA certified, high efficiency units out there. Napoleon, Fireplace Xtrordinair, Quadrafire, Pacific Energy, Flame, Regency all make them. Some can be ducted to distribute heat to other areas of the home.

Looks like Morso sells a 'fireplace enclosure' to install the 5660 into, which is installed into a framed opening.

I just checked on that and you beat me to it jeff. But in general no inserts cant go into framed openings. there are other companies that mage zeroclearance cabinets for their inserts but i know regency is not one of them.

Unfortunately some marketing calls these units inserts but that is incorrect. An insert "inserts" into an existing fireplace. Search on Zero Clearance Fireplace or ZC for short. There are many good brands on the market and many threads here on most of them. You will probably want something bigger than the Morso. I would suggest looking at ~3 cu ft units from Kozy, Pacific Energy, Northstar, SBI (Osburn or Valcourt), RSF, Quadrafire, etc.. Note that many of these units have different trim options.

Thanks for the replies guys - took a look through all the above manufacturers. Not many 3 cu ft. options... The one that stuck out was the Pacific Energy FP30, it's also the most expensive :) I'm getting pricing on that one right now, still open to suggestions on whatever else you guys are using and happy with.

Napoleon NZ3000, 2.8 cu ft firebox.
KozyHeat Z42: 3 cu ft firebox.
Valcourt FP9: 3.5 cu ft
FireplaceXtraordinaire Elite 36, 3.7 cu ft

If in doubt, go a bit larger. It sounds like you want to install the fireplace in a bump out. Make sure that gets insulated well or you may lose a lot of heat out the back. Don't forget to budget the chimney pipe; that may come more expensive than you are expecting.

The Opel is a very nice heater. IIRC it has a deeper firebox, like the PE FP30. If you are using the unit for heating it's nice to be able to load the stove N/S with the logs parallel to the sides. That cures any problem with logs rolling up against the glass. Note that Regency and PE are made in BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.