Wood insert install quote any good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squiner

Aug 22, 2008
Maryland
I'm about to buy a wood insert, Quadra-fire 2700i. The following is the quote I got. keep in mind i live just north of Baltimore, MD.

2700i Wood Insert: $1,254
2700i Door: $254
Surround: $191
Blower kit: $266
6"x25' SS Liner Kit: $539
Terracotta Top Plate: $79
Install: $750

Total w/ tax: $3,487

Does this price seem reasonable or am I getting ripped off? Also, my chimney is only 14' from top to ground level, why do I need a 25' kit?

On a side not, I've never owned a wood stove before and this site has provided a lot of good information in the few weeks I have been surfing the forum. Thanks all.

Jim

that seems about right. most installs run in the $4000 range

Squiner said:
I'm about to buy a wood insert, Quadra-fire 2700i. The following is the quote I got. keep in mind i live just north of Baltimore, MD.

2700i Wood Insert: $1,254

reasonable price for an epa insert
2700i Door: $254

i am assuming this is an optional replacement door and an upgrade if so , ok i can see thatSurround: $191

i would have figured the insert would come with that ours do
Blower kit: $266

again , an insert with no blower is kinda like a car with only one gear ours come with blower stock as well
6"x25' SS Liner Kit: $539

seems reasonable
Terracotta Top Plate: $79

reasonable as well
Install: $750

complete install (with block off plate and liner insertion) at that cost is not bad IMHO

Total w/ tax: $3,487

Does this price seem reasonable or am I getting ripped off? Also, my chimney is only 14' from top to ground level, why do I need a 25' kit?

that may be the shortest length available for the liner he uses( a guess on my part but seems logical)

On a side not, I've never owned a wood stove before and this site has provided a lot of good information in the few weeks I have been surfing the forum. Thanks all.

stick around , more will answer you, and i may be off on some things so dont take my word alone, and welcome to the hearth

Jim

Many inserts initial prices do NOT include the door. My Summit was same way.
It costed me $3,100.00 to buy & install my won. Of course bigger box, fan was included, and I used a double wall rigid liner.
SO your cost quote is not bad at all IMO. As long as there is no surprises. T&M;always costs a bunch.

Thanks for the responses so far, and the kind welcome!

Yes, apparently the inserts do not include the door, go figure (seems really strange to me as well).

From reading a bit of this forum, it appears I should use an insulated liner; is that a reasonable assumption? If so, what might be the price difference compared to the un-insulated?

Thanks again!

What are your plans for the insert? As in heating demands & expectations. And what is the size of area your looking to heat?
As far as insulated liner, is the chimney on the inside of the home, or on an outside wall of the home? Inside, no insulation needed, unless the original clay liner is cracked or in poor shape. Then you need the insulation to meet code standards. If on outside way, insulated if possible. Will cost about $350.00 to $500.00 more installed I would guess.

Hogwildz said:
What are your plans for the insert? As in heating demands & expectations. And what is the size of area your looking to heat?
As far as insulated liner, is the chimney on the inside of the home, or on an outside wall of the home? Inside, no insulation needed, unless the original clay liner is cracked or in poor shape. Then you need the insulation to meet code standards. If on outside way, insulated if possible. Will cost about $350.00 to $500.00 more installed I would guess.

Plans for the insert is to be the primary heating of the house (ranch)....supplemented by baseboard heating (oil). The house is 1,500 sf with about 1,000 sf of open living space (i.e. kitchen, living room, dining room) where the insert will be located. I have a blower the attic (a big plenum) that transmits the air from the living room to the bedrooms.

The chimney is at an exterior wall of the house, so I guess insulation is recommended.

Another question I have is about outside air. Where can I get it from? Can it come from a pipe run up beside the flue or what?

Seems like a fair price. I just prchased the 3100i in June with those options, and with blockoff insulation, and an insulated liner wrap and minus the blower for 3900 installed. My dealer said they just had a 15 percent increase on all stoves in July.

Squiner said:
Hogwildz said:

Plans for the insert is to be the primary heating of the house (ranch)....supplemented by baseboard heating (oil). The house is 1,500 sf with about 1,000 sf of open living space (i.e. kitchen, living room, dining room) where the insert will be located. I have a blower the attic (a big plenum) that transmits the air from the living room to the bedrooms.

The chimney is at an exterior wall of the house, so I guess insulation is recommended.

Another question I have is about outside air. Where can I get it from? Can it come from a pipe run up beside the flue or what?

I could be wrong, but you may want to go up to the next size insert. I'll let other Quad folks give their input.
If you can get insulation in there around the liner, I'd go that route myself. Or maybe look into double wall rigid liner which is pre insulated.
What is the cf of that 2700 fire box?

I just bought a buckstove 2100I insert online for $1200 shipped with a nickel door and standard size surround. The liner cost $399 for the 16 feet I need if I so choose and will be doing all of this myself Except for locating electric near to the fireplace opening so that I can mount the blower. Seems to be a pretty easy do it myself install. The part that makes it easier is that my flue damper is large enough to pass the 6"pipe right through with no bends or ovals and I have a perfect fireplace as far as flue and masonry condition which helps

mtaccone said:
I just bought a buckstove 2100I insert online for $1200 shipped with a nickel door and standard size surround. The liner cost $399 for the 16 feet I need if I so choose and will be doing all of this myself Except for locating electric near to the fireplace opening so that I can mount the blower. Seems to be a pretty easy do it myself install. The part that makes it easier is that my flue damper is large enough to pass the 6"pipe right through with no bends or ovals and I have a perfect fireplace as far as flue and masonry condition which helps

Where did you purchase it online?

Not a bad price at all, especially if $750 includes delivery, installation of stove and liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.