Wood insert questions? New to the Forum.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DumbAsh

Nov 3, 2007
Upstate NY
Hello,
I am looking to replace an existing Majestic Gas (RHE32)insert with a wood insert. I am having difficulty narrowing down this list;

Pacific Energy Pacific: Firebox-???cu ft, Efficiency ???%

Regency I2400: Firebox-2.3cu ft, Efficiency 77%

Hampton HI300: Firebox-2.3cu ft, Efficiency 77%

Avalon Rainier: Firebox-1.8cu ft, Efficiency 71.7%

Lopi Freedom: Firebox-2.2cu ft, Efficiency 78.8%

Enerzone Solution 2.3- I: Firebox-2.3cu ft, Efficiency ???%

Napoleon 1402: Firebox-2.25cu ft, Efficiency ???%

Osborn 2200: Firebox-2.2cu ft, Efficiency ???%

Can any one fill in the question marks?
Also, with the efficency ratings some manufacturers specify DEQ or EPA or list Both(best case) others do not reference either specification.

One more thing, Is the hampton insert truly a cast stove?, or is it a steel stove with cast trim?

All are around the same price with the exception being the Enerzone which is the least expensive and is rarely mentioned on this board, good or bad.

House is a two story well insulated 2300ft^2

Thanks for the help.

The pacific is a 2cuft stove.

Never heard any details on the Enerzone,but the rest of your list are popular,proven woodburners....I doubt you could go wrong with any of "em.

I'm quite certain the Hampton is not a cast stove but a steel stove fancied up. It is essentially the same firebox as the Regency I2400.

Thanks for all the input.
Initially I was focusing on the large inserts 3.0ft^3 as BEGREEN suggested. It can get a bit nippy.
This nocked Pacific Energy out of the running because the Summit is 34 5/8 wide and requires an opening of 35" across.
The width of my fireplace opening is 34 1/2". (Oh, so close)

Can anyone substantiate Avalon's assertion that a blower is not needed on their insert due to convective air flow thru and around the stove?

Also; Is the knife edge door seal on the Avalon line superior to the flush type door fit of the Regency line?

Best regards

If you still want PE, look at the PE Pacific D1, it will fit and it's a good insert. If you want bigger look at the Quadrafire 4100i, 2.47 cu ft. It looks like the 5100i might squeak in, though you may need to put vaseline on the sides :eek:hh: to get it in (1/16" clearance) JK. I think I would narrow down my search to the Regency/Hampton and the Quad 4100i. The Hampton is the prettiest and has a loyal following. And if eye candy is desired, also take a look at the Jotul C450.
http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulus/Main-menu/Products/Wood/Wood-inserts/Jotul-C-450-Kennebec/

By all means get an insert with a blower. You will be so glad you did.

As a new Hampton owner, I will sing the praises of the HI300. It's a steel fire box with cast door and surround. Best looking insert on the market. (IMO) I only wish the fire box was bigger than 2.3 cu. ft. I can stuff it full of wood and keep my 2700 sqft ranch warm all night, but the ash seems to build up fast. I am emptying every 2 or 3 days. That is the only thing I would make different if I had the option, but then again wouldn't we all.
FYI: the fan option on this unit is the bomb! The fan on low is in-audible. The fan on high is extremely quiet. I was surprised and very please by this after installation discovery.

Nebrsmithers said:
As a new Hampton owner, I will sing the praises of the HI300. It's a steel fire box with cast door and surround. Best looking insert on the market. (IMO) I only wish the fire box was bigger than 2.3 cu. ft. I can stuff it full of wood and keep my 2700 sqft ranch warm all night, but the ash seems to build up fast. I am emptying every 2 or 3 days. That is the only thing I would make different if I had the option, but then again wouldn't we all.
FYI: the fan option on this unit is the bomb! The fan on low is in-audible. The fan on high is extremely quiet. I was surprised and very please by this after installation discovery.

wish i coulda got one but 2000+ that i need to do i was really scared so i went with big daddy summit!
but that 300 is one BEAUTIFUL stove

Is the hampton better than the jotul kennebec?

Different sized fireboxes and trim, but both good inserts.

I don't give a crap what any dealer says, to use an insert without a blower is like running a race car on regular gas. You will not have the heat output you seek on those really cold nights. Would ya buy an air conditioner that was just a block of ice and huddle around it to try and get what coolness was given off it? The blower you can always turn off or adjust speed (if your particular model has variable speed). Most have at least high & low. If you nix the blower, and feel you need the heat pushed out into the room and possibly surrounding room, no convection or radiation of heat is going to do that. Unless of course the room is small.

soxfan13 said:
Is the hampton better than the jotul kennebec?

The Jotul was on my short list of favorites. Over all I liked the hampton best. Its great looking and burns beautifully! The fan is variable and you can set it to auto on/off or manually control the blower. I like that feature. On the nights I don't stock the stove up I don't have to worry about the fan blowing cold air after the fire burns out.

folks

Efficiency on EPA wood stoves has nothing to do with heating efficiency. It is a combustion efficiency rating. Some manufacturers have paid the extra dollars to get the combustion efficiency tested, others did not. The default combustion efficiency on an EPA certified stove is 63%. Now, for the homeowner, that number is useless. You can be very efficient on combustion and still be throwing all the heat in the chimney. When it comes to inserts or stoves, really, choosing an EPA certified appliance is the key. Then, choose the look you like, the size you like and the quality of the construction you like. Look at the warranty, where it comes from and the dealer that will help you out and support you if needed. I know most brands out there, if it is built in the US or Canada, it is a good start. Some manufacturers are so efficient at production that they can manage to keep the price down better than others. Price is not all there is... I think the Enerzone being at the price it is will provide you with an excellent value...

I am in NorthWestern CT. I have a 2500 sq ft, 2 story colonial without an open floor plan. We've been burning a Lopi Freedom in our home for the past 3 years. I lurk here often, post rarely.

While the naysayers on the forum state you cannot run an insert without a blower; we've been doing it with our Freedom since we bought it. We do have the insert installed sticking out on the hearth as far as possible - it is not installed flush. Installed flush, I'd say most likely yes - you'd need a blower. Not all inserts are built the same. The Lopi/Avalon inserts which stick out on the hearth are quite effecient on their own. Those who say they aren't, haven't burned one.

When we bought our Freedom, the dealer who is an old chimney mason, gruff, to the point, doesn't mess around, told us to burn for a year without a blower and if we still wanted one to come in and he'd take our money. I don't feel he steered us wrong. We were gifted an EcoFan which generates about the same output as a blower without the noise and electrical use of an installed blower. For us it works just fine. I've second guessed that decision multiple times when I read here on the forum that I can't do what I do. But each time I talked to folks who burn the Lopi/Avalon inserts as we have ours installed tell me the blower is a waste of money.

I burn close to 24/7. I get a decent fire going before bed and normally have enough coals in the morning to start up again with no fuss. My furnace will kick on in the morning, but I heat from wood all day and all evening. I use a small, nearly silent corner fan and am able to keep my home up to temp without my furnace on all but the absolute coldest of days. For me, with our home set up, with my electric rates, the blower just isn't worth it. I've been able to drop our oil usage from 1200 gallons per year to 300 gallons per year without the blower.

My dealer will tell you, get another insert - definately get a blower. Get an Avalon/Lopi extended mount insert - run it first and then decide if you want to spend $200.00+ for a blower or buy a box fan - most Avalon/Lopi dealers will recommend you buy a cheap box fan instead to relocate heat to other areas.

PS: Don't get a gold trim door. What a PITA to keep nice looking. The dealer told me that as well, but I ignored him on that point. He was right. I wish I had a solid black door!

Status
Not open for further replies.