Wood Insert Removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johannesak

Sep 30, 2007
Hi, brand new user here. I have an older Lopi wood insert that we're replacing with a new gas insert. Since can't confirm that we have enough space until the insert comes out, does anyone have good, step by step instructions for the removal of the insert? We want to keep it in good condition during the removal since we're going to have it installed again later on at the cabin. Would appreciate any help since I want to do it right and don't want to damage something that's been so good to me over the years. Thanks

Johannes

I'm also new but just having installed one, I have an idea of what to expect. Not familiar with a Lopi, but my Regency is pretty simple. Figure out how to remove the front surround from the insert, disconnect the liner, and slide unit forward out of the fireplace. It really is that simple. The biggest problem will be figuring out how to get the surround off. Then finding a strong back with a weak mind to help hoist it out.

I'm with hfjeff, having just installed one, it is pretty straight forward. Gas units are typically narrower than wood untis so you should be fine with space. Do you know if you have currently have a full chimney liner? If so, that will probably need to come out since, if you get a direct vent gas insert, it will require different venting - 2 smaller liners for intake and exhaust. This would be one of those rare moments when you want the current insert to be either direct connect or direct dump so at worst you're just pulling out a 5 foot pipe out instead of going up to the roof and pulling out a 20+ foot pipe.

Descriptions on removing the insert sound about right so far. The only tricky part might be figuring out how to disconnect the liner from the insert body. IIRC the discussions I've seen Lopi's and some other models have a collar that attaches to the liner and bolts to the stove. It may be easier to separate the collar from the stove, remove the insert, and then work on getting the collar off once the stove is out of the way.

I have heard that using some form of roller or slide can be helpful in getting the insert out - I've seen good comments on some of those teflon furniture slides or making rollers out of 6" or so lengths of pipe.

Note also that you don't necessarily have to remove the insert's lining - check w/ your dealer, but my understanding is that the DV plumbing is small enough that it can be run through a 6" liner, particularly the "coax" style connectors.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.