Wood Insert that Boils Water - Quadrafire 5100i?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have a quad 5100i and having a top for cooking/boiling in a power outage situation was a big deciding factor. This was also the biggest insert I could fit in my short fireplace. It will boil water. The fan intake is at the bottom and blows out under the top. In the case of a power outage, I would take the fan assembly off (sits under the lip under the door) so air could flow around the insert more easily. It's a great stove and easily heats all rooms of our 2k square ft ranch.

Reactions: cpgrim
I have a quad 5100i and having a top for cooking/boiling in a power outage situation was a big deciding factor. This was also the biggest insert I could fit in my short fireplace. It will boil water. The fan intake is at the bottom and blows out under the top. In the case of a power outage, I would take the fan assembly off (sits under the lip under the door) so air could flow around the insert more easily. It's a great stove and easily heats all rooms of our 2k square ft ranch.
Wow, thank you. That's very helpful information. I think we now have it narrowed down to the Quadra Fire 5100i and the Lopi Freedom Bay insert, and maybe the Pacific Energy Summit, but wider is better. The width of our opening is 51".

The 5100i will "evaporate" water but never get to a rolling boil. I no longer use a pot of water for a humidifier on the top because it's empty twice a day. Instead I use a Winix humidifier which goes through 3 gallons per day. Whereas the Quad was about 1 gal. per day.

Also if you haven't bought yet, find an ACT version of the 5100i, it's a better stove.

The 5100i will "evaporate" water but never get to a rolling boil. I no longer use a pot of water for a humidifier on the top because it's empty twice a day. Instead I use a Winix humidifier which goes through 3 gallons per day. Whereas the Quad was about 1 gal. per day.

Also if you haven't bought yet, find an ACT version of the 5100i, it's a better stove.
Thanks. Is the ACT model the latest, or older?

How wide is he Quad 5100i, without the surround? (Not in the manual.)

It's the older version, I picked up in 2011

http://downloads.hearthnhome.com/installManuals/7047_910.pdf

The above link takes you to the 51001 install manual where you will find all your dimensions.

The ACT version is older, I ordered mine from one of their stock warehouses in 2011. If you call sales, you can ask if one of their dealers has one still in stock, however you may have to call each one of them directly if you really want the ACT version.
When you compare the two, you'll see there's a big BTU difference besides the secondary burn feature.

http://downloads.hearthnhome.com/installManuals/7047_910.pdf

The above link takes you to the 51001 install manual where you will find all your dimensions.

The ACT version is older, I ordered mine from one of their stock warehouses in 2011. If you call sales, you can ask if one of their dealers has one still in stock, however you may have to call each one of them directly.
Thanks, I looked at the manual, and as far as I can see, it only has the width including the surround. I need the width without the surround. We need to know how wide the unit itself is.

That link is the "install" manual not the sales manual, just scroll down, you'll see and find everything you'll need to know.

scroll down to page 7

Cooking in a power outage would be the last thing that would influence my stove choice. I got my Coleman camp stove at a garage sale for $3. I wouldn't cook in the house with it and it may not be fun cooking outside in the winter, but you probably won't be cooking any gourmet meals. Not an issue for me anyway, as I have a gas range.

And there's no worries of getting anything slopped on the stovetop, which can be a challenge, if not impossible, to get clean.

Reactions: jotulguy and cpgrim
Cooking in a power outage would be the last thing that would influence my stove choice. I got my Coleman camp stove at a garage sale for $3. I wouldn't cook in the house with it and it may not be fun cooking outside in the winter, but you probably won't be cooking any gourmet meals. Not an issue for me anyway, as I have a gas range.

And there's no worries of getting anything slopped on the stovetop, which can be a challenge, if not impossible, to get clean.
We have different priorities. We also want to be able to use a steamer.

let your husband look at page 7 or just give it to the installer.

The 5100 ACC dimensions are on page 31 of the manual.
Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 3.55.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 3.55.56 PM.png

My 3100 insert boiled water and cooked delicious food. I should have purchased the largest unit at the time. But, when the power is out, it seems the stove needs to be real hot in order to get decent heat. I have a large generator, but fuel consumption for a blower doesn't make sense- I'd just as soon run the furnace when considering fuel costs, btu's, and convenience. The Quad is a nice stove and I like the heavy steel baffle in mine. I think I will keep mine stored in the garage until I am fully weaned, if possible, with my new freestanding stove.

EDIT: I do have several computer ups' and I guess I could have connected one to a car battery in order to use the fans during a power failure; however, I did not perform a load calculation on the fans.

Adding a note on this older thread in case someone else is looking for the same info in the future ...

The ledge on the Merrimack definitely does not get hot enough to boil water, not even close. The fireplace itself though puts out great heat.