Wood insert tool set

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wacky1

Oct 9, 2009
Ripley WV
I see all types of tools all over the internet but not sure which are the best. I dont want something too short ,been hot even through my gloves with the cheap short set from wallyworld the handles are too short. Cant seem to find a straight poker they all have the hook, which I dont need. And something that wont bend or break with some abuse. Oh, I need this all at a good price with free shipping of course ;-) . And thanks to all in advance!!!!!!

Hey There,
I posted the same advice on the wood heating forum, but you should check out Craigslist. I found a few sets there, mostly rich folk who bought high-end sets to jazz up their fireplaces but then realized they never use them.

S

I will try that. Thanks.

Cant seem to find a straight poker they all have the hook, which I dont need. And something that wont bend or break with some abuse. Oh, I need this all at a good price with free shipping of cours

I use a piece of 1/2" rebar. It's straight, cheap, won't bend, and will take plenty of abuse. You can make it whatever length you want.

I tend to agree, making your own is often easier and cheaper... Part of the problem is everyone tends to have a slightly different setup and method of operating, so what works great for one person won't work at all for the next... If you make your own, you can get what you want...

Gooserider

That hook provides a means of situating logs inside the stove raking coals around lifting hot as bucket when handle leaves red mark in hand and fighting off intruders I wouldnt live without it just my opinion take it for what it is

Also if you get a set with a broom i have found the long handle broom is awkward at best for sweeping into the shovel I use a cheap paint brush not too cheap though plastic bristles melt easily. Paint brush gets the really fine stuff easily not that i sweep up that much though

All Great info THANKS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.