wood insert wearable items? when to replace bricks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par0thead151

Feeling the Heat
Jul 26, 2009
south eastern wisconsin
I noticed that the left and right shield on my enviro venice 1700 are getting pretty worn, at what point would it be advised to replace it? also, when should bricks be replaced? when they crack or when they start to crumble? if so, how much crumbling is justification to replace them?
also, i noticed that my liner is not all the way into my insert, or so it appears. is this the case?(see below photo)
I also noticed that the back of the stoves steel appears to be dented. is this normal?
thanks

20140921_203721_zpsdc3f7ddf.jpg

20140921_203537_zps2adcde3b.jpg

20140921_203553_zps5883bd1d.jpg

the liner looks fine but what is that second pic of it looks bad what ever it is

the second pic is the shield. if you open the door, and look immediately up. its there.
it has a lot of erosion on the right side, but the left looks still mostly in tact.
i should just order up the shield and bricks to have on hand if they are needed.
for pumice bricks, can one repair them with a wet ash paste? or is that more trouble than it is worth?

thanks

The bricks look like they have another season left. I would replace the air wash deflector (shield). How many cords would you estimate this stove has seen?

5 seasons. i burn 24/7 in the winter
i think i use 3-5 cords a winter. aprox
i tried counting once but never was able to get a exact number

Status
Not open for further replies.