Wood insert, which one??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

celticgarden

Dec 4, 2007
Near Thames River, CT
I would like to get a wood burning insert for our 1950's ranch living room fireplace. Fireplace is fairly large rumford shape with fieldstone faced surround, painted pine mantel/flanking bookcases. Chimney in good shape. I would like non-catalytic burning. I thought I wanted the Hearthstone Homestead but I am not sure that having it project past the stone facing will work. Living room is not huge. Can anyone recommend a "flush" mount insert? I want to be able to rely on the stove for heat if the power goes out so it should still function when there is no electricity. Would like to reduce oil consumption! Really a wood burning furnace (placed in basement) would be best in that regard but I really want to utilize the fireplace and have ambiance.

thanks! Linda

Have you looked at the Lopi Declaration / Avalon Perfect Fit?

Rumford = shallow depth, I think. Make sure you measure the depth of the opening, along with the other measurements before you even start to look. And don't forget to make sure the surrounds will cover the opening after it's installed.

If you really want heat when the power is out, consider an insert that sticks out at least a little...with come single wall projection if possible.

Also, consider a small stove back in the fireplace most of the way - like a front loader......some of them can look quite nice (like begreens avatar).

Thanks folks for pursuing this with me. I went back (to Jotul website) and looked that the stoves instead of the inserts. Seems I have enough clearence to consider some of those! I think the Jøtul F 400 Castine would provide the amount of heat we could use for supplementing. Am printing the manual out right now. One of these days I will make it to Preston Trading Post to look at them. I am wondering about price of stove versus insert. Are stoves less money (crossing fingers)?

Thanks Linda

I'd say yes inserts cost more as inserts are stoves but with an additional "shroud" on the outside and bigger blowers which inevitably should add to the cost. Stoves have legs, I can't think they add much to the expense though.

They heat VERY differently, and stoves need to be in the open. Just make sure you're a stove person and not an insert or vice versa. Walking into a house heated with a stove is very different than walking into one heated with an insert. Also, make sure you don't enclose that stove in the fireplace... the poor performance of stoves put inside fireplaces caused people to modify and mutate their stoves and eventually came about the invention of the insert which solves the problems. If you want this thing inside the fireplace the right tool for the job is an insert, otherwise get a stove and make sure it sits out on the hearth in the open and not inside the fireplace. I've seen the Jotul picture of a stove inside a fireplace and that is exactly how one should NOT install a stove. You need rear & side heat shields + blower to pull that install off which Jotuls don't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.