Wood insert with blower & ash drawer???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lobsta1

Sep 6, 2007
Eastern Ma.
I've been heating with wood for the last 30 years. Last 15 with an old Russo sitting in my fireplace. I would like to replace it with a modern insert. I don't want to give up the ash drawer. Does anyone make an insert with a blower & an ash drawer?
Thanks
Al

I haven't done exhaustive research, but when I was looking for my insert (Avalon Rainer) it seemed that the closest you could get to an insert with an ash drawer was hearth mounting a stove. There are a number of freestanding stoves that come with short leg kits or in the case of Dutchwest, the legs can be off completely. In addition to DW, Vermont Castings, Jotul, & Hearthstone all have such models. Seems that every modern insert has their fan mounted on the front bottom which negates an ash drawer. Best wishes as you search!

Energy King and the Vermont Casting Winter Warm are the only ones I am aware of that have an ash pan on the insert. The Energy King isn't available in a whole lot of places.

To make a True insert with an ash pan would make the stove to tall to fit into most fireplaces
You would be giving up firebox size for an ash pan.

Cleaning out thge ash is a pain in the ash. After a while you get good at it though. Take some out every 3 days if burning 24/7. BTW use a covered pail, it makes a big difference. If you are burning right the ash is very fine.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Looks like I will have to go with a short leg stove. Can't really find an Energy King nearby & the Winter Warm review I read was horrible.
Al

lobsta1 said:
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Looks like I will have to go with a short leg stove. Can't really find an Energy King nearby & the Winter Warm review I read was horrible.
Al

Take it from a long time insert burner that replaced it with a stove in the fireplace. You will love it. Get a stove with a blower and it will put inserts to shame for heat production.

We have a Buck insert with an ash pan, but very seldom use it. It's just easier to use the little shovel and bucket.

Appalachian makes several models of insert that have ash pans. my circa 1989 BWXL has a blower annd ash pan. Still going strong.

lobsta1 said:
Al

Al, check out Morso. The new 5660 may suit you.

Curious, if you read a "glowing" review on the WinterWarm, would that make a difference?

I'm always curious how much weight these reviews have in decision making. Fact is, these reviews are not very scientific and there are so many variables involved as to make them only as useful as any other personal opinion. Shame to remove the WinterWarm from the running based on someone elses opinion. That can only be a contributing factor, and shouldn't be the deciding factor. I think the WinterWarm could be just what you are looking for. Have you seen it in person? Does the fact that I have literally hundreds in service with happy owners make a difference? Or will the one or two customers that I have who hated their WinterWarm be enough to eliminate it from consideration?

Good luck,
Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.