Wood insert with no surround?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuburbanMac

Nov 22, 2015
Long Island, NY
I am looking to install a wood-burning insert in a relatively short fireplace opening (23" h x 35.5" wide). The existing custom fireplace doors are 25"x38" surrounded by "cultured" stone which projects to a varying degree and would prevent any sort of surround larger than the existing doors from making even contact (pictures attached).

I am thinking my options are to install an insert without a surround or have a custom surround fabricated. Either way, I'll be installing a block-off plate as part of my objective is to stop air infiltration through the chimney.

My current lead candidate would a Pacific Energy Neo 2.5, which would fit nicely in the opening and would provide the fireplace approximation that we are looking for with its big glass, though I don't love the lack of an ash lip. Does anyone know if this would look and function OK without its surround? I presume the surround is separate?

Any suggestions for other low and wide inserts? I don't think a free stove will work here given the 23" height limitation, and I am not averse to using the blower as needed. The 23" height also seems to rule out a lot of inserts. I have plenty of depth (32") and rear width (25"h x 33"w). The lower moulding on my mantle will need to be ripped to take 2-3" out and provide acceptable distance.

This will be used on weekends, much like a fireplace. Just looking for something more efficient. The room is quite big with vaulted ceiling, a hallway balcony above to the three upstairs bedrooms (second picture taken from there), and a dining room off of it with an open floor plan. Fortunately, we have a ceiling fan to push down the heat and one of the two returns for the downstairs HVAC is located just to the left of the fireplace (think that may come in handy for circulation).

Thanks!
1-20151121_3119.JPG3-20151121_3121.JPG2-20151121_3120.JPG

I don't have any stove suggestions but I have seen the offending stones cut to allow the surround to sit more flush. IMO it doesn't have to sit perfectly tight, just can't stick out a ridiculous amount. With a block off plate you're not making the mistake that some people do thinking the surround is for air blockage. I intentionally leave my surround off the brick about 3/4" to let some trapped heat out and can't tell from a looks point of view.

With a block off plate and chimney liner the function of an insert surround is pretty much strictly cosmetic anymore. A flush fit and tight seal of the surround used to be a must. Flush fit is non-functional now. Don't go chipping anything away on that nice looking hearth.

Just to give you another idea... My insert was bought used and did not come with a surround. The previous fireplace had doors very similar to yours. I removed the glass, cut the bottom of the door to the insert width, and then used 1/8" steel panels to take up the gap. There was enough of a lip all the way around the door frame to bolt the panels to.

16ly434.jpg

am7ehi.jpg

muwmz9.jpg

37"W tapering back to about 28" wide at the rear.
30" tall at the front the rear kind of slopes forward in the back
23" deep at the bottom.

This was the dimensions of my fireplace. Just to give you an idea my stove (Osburn 1600) is 22" tall. I would say you need a minimum of 3-4" above the stove to get in there and hook up the liner. I'm not a pro installer though so maybe they have some tricks for working in tight places I'm not aware of. I had to set the stove then lower the liner and appliance adapter down to it. Then I had just enough room to get my arm in there and screw it to the stove. There are some inserts (Avalon comes to mind) that the back of the stove slopes down. Something like that may give you enough room to work.

Reactions: SuburbanMac
I have a cultured (fake) stone fireplace similar looking to yours. I decided against using a surround because I just hated the idea of cutting/grinding down the stone just to cover it with metal. I used a full length liner and a block-off plate and it works great, and all the heat coming off the top of the insert can radiate into the room. That said, I like what rwhite did with his, looks clean and functional. You could go that route without destroying the stone.

I cant really help with the stove decision, mine is a 35 year old smoke dragon that will probably be replaced in a year or two. But it heats great and it was free, so I cant argue with that.

Here is what mine looks like if it gives you an idea of what it might look like without a surround, even though mine fills up almost its entire opening.
WP_20150216_003.jpg

The 23" height should allow a good selection of inserts. The Regency i2400 or CI2600 are 21.5"H iirc. Shop around, you'll probably find a number that fit height wise.

Also, suggest you pull out the old one before you buy anything, when I pulled out an old gas insert, the floor of the hole was actually 1.5" lower than the hearth, giving me that little extra to get a bigger insert in. Many also have little levelling legs on them that may give you that little extra bit to make something work.

With a block off plate and chimney liner the function of an insert surround is pretty much strictly cosmetic anymore. A flush fit and tight seal of the surround used to be a must. Flush fit is non-functional now. Don't go chipping anything away on that nice looking hearth.

Thanks, that is what I needed to know. Appreciate the suggestions everyone and the reminder to allow space for making connections. Like rwhite suggests, I am thinking about using the frame of the existing doors as a contrasting trim.

Status
Not open for further replies.