Wood Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
Hello all. Newbie to the site. If you're reading, thanks. I'm looking to supplement my heat pump during the cold winter months with a wood insert. The previously installed open air fireplace on 3 sides came with the house originally built in the early 1950's. Oriented towards the living room, the openings currently measure 28.5"(w), 18"(d) with an 8" lip made of bricks. 20"(h) lip (brick) to ceiling or 22.5(h) floor to ceiling. If that makes sense. The house is a single level rancher approximately 1,750 sq. ft. I'm having difficulty locating a wood insert to fit these dimensions.

Attached is a comical but accurate sketch in paint. (DR= Dining Room, LR= Living Room, K= Kitchen, B= Bedroom). The small, black square is where the fireplace opening is.

The insert door would face the LR. I would brick in the the other two sides (hallway & kitchen sides). I want to heat as much as the house as possible but without running us out of the LR. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• House Diagram.jpg
    House Diagram.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 171
Those fire places were real popular in the 50's. I think fuel oil was probably 9 cents or there abouts. The chimneys are supported on one end usually by round heavy tubes, s there for they are open on three sides. Not sure what type of install would work for you, but i cant see an insert

Status
Not open for further replies.