Wood Inserts-The Search Continues...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kd460

Feeling the Heat
Feb 5, 2006
Have been doing allot of reading here and other places. Due to the size restriction of my zero clearance fireplace (heatilator E-39), I have been limited to certain models. My fireplace opening is 32 3/4 wide, and 21 high (after the track for the mesh screen is removed). The fireplace does open up to a higher dimension inside. This is mentioned because of the question I have (see Lopi revere below)

Quadrafire 2700i-not to fond of the styling now that I have looked at the others, plus as people have mentioned it does not have the smoke bypass, and appears to be to tall (height).

Osburn 1800. This will fit, just not to keen on the looks. I have read reviews that the glass gets dirty quickly. Mostly discounted because of looks, the depth in the rear may be an issue, but never dug any deeper as I did not like the looks.

Pacific Energy Vista-Not bad, can't seem to find pricing on this model. 21 inches in height, has a "low profile" ability to install flu collar (for stainless liner), so still being considered, just have not done much research on it.

Napoleon 1401. I like the looks, the price is reasonable, no smoke bypass, has a decent firebox, but is 21 1/4 tall. The OD of the box is actually smaller and would fit, but they include the collar for the stainless liner in part of the dimensions. The collar is a part of the firebox and is not removable, so getting the unit in would be tight. I played around with my fireplace opening and it looks like it would work, as I can "pull" the metal a little to get the 1/4 inch. Once that collar is past the opening, I have allot more room to reach n and attach the liner. Any thoughts on this???

Lopi Revere-I really like this one! Nice size internal firebox size. Has the smoke bypass. The hearth will need to be extended (not a problem), the box is 19 3/4 tall, but the dealer tried to talk me out of it stating that "there would be no way to get the collar for the liner on it". I tried to explain how the fireplace box opens up to another 6 inch clearance inside, and asked why the collar could not be put in place once the unit is slide past the opening, but that did not seem to accomplish anything. I don't like how they charge you for a door, and the blower. The add on cost for the blower is understandable, but having to pay extra for a door? Cmon! It's like buying a car with no doors! Price is up there when you consider the cost of the door and the blower. Your input on the collar issue would be appreciated.

Avalon Ranier-This was recommended by the dealer, as it offers a 45 degree rear for the flue pipe. The dealer stated this is the only way it would work. I like the looks, but it is only about $100 bucks less than the Lopi Revere, and it holds a fair amount less in wood, although there is a larger viewing area in the glass (than the Revere). The height is listed as 21 1/8, but I measured it to be a tad under that, so it will fit as well. If I remember correctly, it has the bypass as well.

I have checked out a few others (on the net) like the Kodiak, the Buckstove, the Appalachian, but have not really done my homework on those. Can't seem to find dealers in my area on those.

Your comments please? I really like the Lopi Revere. I do have a concern about the liner attatchement as mentioned. My cousin owes me a favor, and he installed free standing and inserts for about 10 years, about 10 years ago. He is willing to assist me on the install. I will have it inspected by the township and my insurance company as well (if they wish), but I don't see a problem with a self install (with my cousins guidance). He live a ways away, so I need to check everything out myself, I also feel confident with the info I get here. I know so much more now than just 2 weeks ago, I could probably sell them! Thanks

You'd be suprized how much you could fudge all of those height mesurments. But I don't know your exact situation. My insert lists it's height at 21.5'' but it is more like 21'' In that case look at this insert http://www.hampton-fire.com/Wood/Inserts/ Ive never used any other insert before but we are very happy with it and puts a tremendous amount of heat out. It's made by the same people as regency if that helps.

Attachments

• P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 807
Did you also consider the lopi answer? It is also 21 in high and will mount further in than the revere. That might help with the collar issue, since the flue collar center will be a little further back (though not by much.)

Oh yhe I forgot to mention hooking the flue up. Regency makes this nifty little item that allows you to hook up your flue from the inside of the stove. You have to drill two holes in your liner collar and put a bolt across the middle. Then a hook shaped bolt hooks on the bolt across the collar. You then add the third peice after you've pulled the liner into the stove collar. I few wrenches of the nut and the whole mess tightens into the stove collar. Pretty slick stuff cause I could 'nt get my hands on top of the stove. With an offset flue adapter I made the impossible possible. Oh and I took one look at the flue hookup kit at the dealer and made my own in about fifteen minutes using some 38th'' all thread and some nuts and washers. with some funace cement you will have a safe secure conection to your stove much better than some screws.

Attachments

• flue.jpg
    flue.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 724
Have to comment on the Osburn here since I own one. I know what you mean about the looks, I felt like it looked a lot like one of the generic bay window pellet stoves out there when I saw the pictures, but all other factors point me at it, so I caved on the looks. Now that I have one, I find the view of the fire with it to be just amazing. It's the best out there for a good view. The glass gets a little dirty on the bottom corner by the door handle, but I'm not convinced that I have the door sealed perfectly yet. I reccomend you take a look at one installed if you can before you give up on it. We really like ours. The inserts I find look nicer are the VE Winterwarm large or the Regency (not sure model) but neither will fit. Take a look at my picture over in the Picture forum. If you like I can take a full resolution pic and email it to you off line. Not trying to sell you on it, as I think I personally would have gone with the Lopi Revere or Pacific Energy Vista if I could have gotten one. Upside is the Osburn was a LOT cheaper than the Revere assuming you account for blower, and the fire view is much better than both.

Happy shopping!

Jared said:
You'd be suprized how much you could fudge all of those height mesurments. But I don't know your exact situation. My insert lists it's height at 21.5'' but it is more like 21'' In that case look at this insert http://www.hampton-fire.com/Wood/Inserts/ Ive never used any other insert before but we are very happy with it and puts a tremendous amount of heat out. It's made by the same people as regency if that helps.

Oooo, That is a nice looking insert.

Thanks, yes, the Regency does look better installed, that is a very nice install Warren. I do ceramic tile, and your installation looks right on the money! Jared the Hampton loks good also, but looks expensive! To rich for my blood. Are you saying that I can use this regency adapter on another brand of stove?

I noticed that the Revere has what looks like "lugs" or locking tabs on the inside of the collar. I am guessing but maybe it is for a collar that fits in and twists to lock? Or maybe it is just tabs to prevent the collar from being put in to deep, who knows.

I did find a Regency/PE dealer about an hour away. Need to check them out this weekend. The dealer that had the revere did mention "a 10% discount if I purchased during off season" so that is somethng to consider as well.

Not sure about the quality of the Napoleon. Any comments out there?

I am concerned about the noise level of a blower, as this will be in the family/tv room. It is the room we spend most of our time in. There are allot of models I discunted because of the size. Now that I looked at everthing, a 1/2 inch is not gonna be to much trouble, so I need to go back and check those out as well.

I am in no hurry, so at present, time is on my side. It will also let the manufacturer's catch up. Thanks

KD, I'm pretty well convinced that some inserts work better with no blower than others. My Osburn was designed to have a blower, it's not optional, so when the blower isn't running, It's probably not as good as the stoves that have it optional. PE, Lopi etc... My sister has an Answer insert and has run it for 10+ years with no blower. After being around my Osburn for a week, she went out and ordred a blower. So we'll see. Don't worry much about noise, they can be turned down. It's similar noise levels of a room air conditioner. Low, barely hear it. Hi...turn up the TV in order to hear the love sceen. :) Football games wouldn't be a problem.

I have the same insert as Jared. The Hampton's blower is extremely quiet when on low. The only way I know it is on is that I hear the thermocouple click on or off. Can't vouch for others though.

I installed the Lopi Revere this fall and it works very well. I have the blower and use it all the time. It would be difficult to heat my house without it. Also looked at the ranier because the 45° outlet but didn't like the smaller firebox and I don't believe the ranier has the by pass damper which I do use every time I load the stove and also when starting a fire to help increase my draft. I used the collar they sell. I would imagine you could install it once the stove is slid back into the opening. As fas as charging for a door I don't remember that. I think the only charge was if you wanted brass trim on the door or the etched glass.
Hope the info helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.