wood king stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

birdseye view

Dec 5, 2014
United States
IMG_20141206_150111601.jpg

I have just installed a wood king wood burner that I rebuilt. There is an air control/damper on the top of the stove as well as the one in the ash door. The one on top is close to the opening for the stove pipe. Can anyone tell me the purpose of the one on top. How should it be used. All the wood stoves I have seen only had an air control on the bottom. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you move the upper control while looking down the flue pipe? I'm wondering if it is a flue bypass control.

Ah, ok, pictures help. That looks like a basic secondary combustion port. Open it up after startup, when the wood is outgassing strongly during the early burn. You can close it once the fire is in the coaling stage with little or no flame.

Status
Not open for further replies.