Wood Length

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cityboy172

Feeling the Heat
Feb 6, 2014
NW Indiana
This is my first go with my eko 60. The burn chamber is 30", and I'm having a hard time settling on a cut length in mind. 14" seems so short after working with my owb for so long, but seems the best compromise. Or run 24 an put uglies in as needed? Probably over thinking this...

I have a vigas 60.. I want to say the firebox is slightly over 30"

I went with 24" wood. One piece can cover both nozzles. I tend to throw to the back, and use uglies for the small bit at the front by the door. When I do open and rake around, everything comes forward a bit, keeping coals all centered over the nozzles.

Also.. 24" is about the biggest most normal splitters will do. Works good stacking two rows on a standard pallet too.

JP

The biomass has a 30 " firebox or slightly bigger. Ive burned around 30 " wood and it works fine. That being said I cut to 24" for the same reasons as JP11 stated.

With my Biomass 60 I prefer 18" wood. Can throw a bunch in and not have to worry about any bridging issues.

Last edited:
I have a 27" "box" and cut all my wood to 26". Just seems like a normal thing to do.

I cut to 24" for my eko 60. I use only the front nozzle, I have the rear blocked with a firebrick. It seems to burn cleaner, no issues with needing coals over both nozzles. I don't need the output of both.

Status
Not open for further replies.