Wood lot management (Ash?) and more BL C/S/S

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cut more green BL to burn this winter, or look elsewhere for other varieties (soft maple, ash)?

• Black Locust

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Soft Maple, Ash

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2011
SW Michigan
Went out tonight to view future wood cutting potential on grand dad's property (pretty much mine in regards to wood cutting). Probably about 10 good acres of woods, lots of maple, some cherry with very little to no Oak leaves seen (same property as wood stack pictures). What I believe I did find, though, was green Ash. With not a whole lot of experience with ash while standing, coming to the panel for advice.

The trees didn't quite look like the Ash trees I would expect to see in SW lower MI, as I couldn't seem to find any (maybe one) D shaped hole in the bark that would indicate the borer had it's way. The lower branches (minimal) did not have leaves on many of these trees. When looking straight up, there were leaves but didn't look healthy (whitish green).

Question here...first, they are green ash...right? Second, have these been "found" by the EAB? I just cut some landscape trees not 7 miles away that were infested (could easily see D shaped holes). Possible I wouldn't see the holes but see the effects?

After the walk through the woods, looked to wrap up (didn't quite make it) the black locust rounds I had bucked up this past weekend. They were green as late as 3 weeks ago. With the split size and other considerations in the picture...ready by winter?

Thanks guys...

IMG_20120510_191756.jpgIMG_20120510_191801.jpgIMG_20120510_191952.jpgIMG_20120510_192000.jpgIMG_20120510_210646.jpg

Not sure if the green BL would be ready to go. If it is not real dry, I would save it. I voted for soft Maple. Seems to dry faster than anything else, from what I saw last year...

I would try to find Ash and spilt it into small pcs so it dries fast. Pic 1 & 2 look like Ash, but I have seen Maple that looks similar to that. Around here the Ash leaves aren't out yet. Good Luck!

The first two pictures look like Ash, maybe even white ash. I don’t know what picture 3 is.

This past winter I posted a picture of a tree on the forum to help I.D. it. I thought it was some sort of ash because there was opposite branching but the slightly scaly bark left me unsure. A huge, and sometimes heated, discussion ensued. It was I.D.ed as everything from hard maple to some type of hickory. Now that spring has sprung, it turns out the tree is blue ash!

I cut and pasted a description of green ash below. Hope that helps. ;)

Opposite, pinnately compound with 7 to 9 serrate leaflets that are lanceolate to elliptical in shape, entire leaf is 6 to 9 inches long, green above and glabrous to silky-pubescent below.
Flower: Dioecious; light green to purplish, both sexes lacking petals, females occurring in loose panicles, males in tighter clusters, appear after the leaves unfold.
Fruit: A single-winged, dry, flattened samara with a slender, thin seed cavity, maturing in autumn and dispersing over winter.
Twig: Stout to medium texture, gray to green-brown and either glabrous or pubescent, depending on variety; leaf scars are semicircular to flat across the top, with lateral buds sitting on top of leaf scar (not down in a in notch as with white ash).
Bark: Ashy gray to brown in color, with interlacing corky ridges forming obvious diamonds; older trees may be somewhat scaly.
Form: A medium sized tree to 70 feet tall with a poorly formed bole and an irregular to round crown.

Status
Not open for further replies.