1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wood meters and do they tell you which wood to use?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Sean McGillicuddy, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Sean McGillicuddy

Sean McGillicuddy Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Easton mass.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. oldspark

oldspark Guest

I have a couple of them (thought I lost one-getting old bought another) and mine works great but for me it's a fun toy, however if you are having trouble with wood (getting any, doesn't burn right, or just learning how long it takes to dry) they are a very useful tool. Some on here dont think they are necessary but they are just buzz killers. ;-)
  3. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

I bought the same moisture meter about a month ago. It works best when you make a split and then test for moisture. The are accurate +4/-4%. Ideal moisture content under 20%.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Keep an extra year or two of wood on hand and you won't find any need for a MM. Oldspark now says I'm a buzz killer! Hum, I'll have to think that one over as usually people call me other names....
  5. oldspark

oldspark Guest

:lol: :lol: Well that's a lot better then being called an old Buzzard.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    My wife said I smelled like one. Does that count?
  7. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    There are several on ebay as well for a few dollars less than that and mine uses the common 9V battery. Have heard some folks say that they have to buy one of those special size button batteries or something for theirs.

Also you might not have a HF in your area then unless you buy a large amount of stuff you have to pay the $6 shipping.
  8. madison

madison Minister of Fire

Loc:
    41.33°N 74.18°W and 44.67°N 111.0°W