Wood Moisture Content - Impact on BTU's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got it many posts ago but after burning wood for over 30 years in both EPA and non EPA stoves and knowing first hand how crappy wet wood is to burn I never gave the numbers much thought.

Yes you mentioned and you can burn wood without thinking about any of this but if people feel like discussing some of the details whats the difference?

That was not my point, did I say any thing about not worth discussing, joful was indicating we were not getting it. I get it and even looked up some sights to try and shed light on the subject for you.
It takes energy to get rid of the extra moisture and the new stoves probably have more issues than the pre epa stoves but in order to burn green wood you have to burn it good and hot. The fact that I stated water dont burn is the basis of what is going on. Not sure what you were after.

I got it many posts ago but after burning wood for over 30 years in both EPA and non EPA stoves and knowing first hand how crappy wet wood is to burn I never gave the numbers much thought.
How dare you rely on common sense and experience!!! LOL.

That was not my point, did I say any thing about not worth discussing, joful was indicating we were not getting it. I get it and even looked up some sights to try and shed light on the subject for you.
It takes energy to get rid of the extra moisture and the new stoves probably have more issues than the pre epa stoves but in order to burn green wood you have to burn it good and hot. The fact that I stated water dont burn is the basis of what is going on. Not sure what you were after.

Not looking to argue but the thread was about wether or not the math added up we know what the basis is.

Reactions: Ashful
Not looking to argue but the thread was about wether or not the math added up we know what the basis is.

This is correct. "Water don't burn" is as obvious as daylight, but was not the answer to the question being asked.

No problem though... I suspect it's probably time to lock this one down. This happens every time we dive into some theory.

This is correct. "Water don't burn" is as obvious as daylight, but was not the answer to the question being asked.

No problem though... I suspect it's probably time to lock this one down. This happens every time we dive into some theory.
I just reread your first post, there is not a question in there, just some facts and figures.

this thread appears to have lost steam, closing per request of the op.

Status
Not open for further replies.