Wood Moisture Readings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burnt-out

Mar 25, 2010
I just purchased my first wood moisture meter and now suffer from wood burner depression. My wood supply is a mixture of split oak, birch and ash which has been stored in a wood shed for at least 18 months. All of my wood has turned a nice gray color with lots of radial splits and checks. I started sampling my wood supply as soon as I installed the battery and was ready to give myself a pat on the back for having such nice supply of dry seasoned wood. My first readings ranged between 10% and 17% and I thought I was in heaven. Then I read somewhere that you should re-split the wood in order to get a more accurate measurement. After I did that I was getting readings ranging from 25% to 35%!!! What the hell??? Some of the wood I measured has been sitting in my living room for 18 months. So, what is the correct way to measure wood moisture content? Do I rely on the exposed surface readings of previously split logs, or do I have to re-split the wood and use that measurement? My wood looks great to the casual observer (and burns just fine) but I would like to know for future deliveries of wood.

Split and read the newly exposed wood. I would have thought ash in a shed for 18 months would be good to go!!?? Does the shed get decent air circulation?

its better to leave it out side til its seasoned then put it in the shed....At the same time if its 18 monts now should be fine for winter! I wouldnt way to heavy on that meter.

Is the shed open on all sides? I think most people season their wood outside before moving into a shed. I think the reading may be suspect though. Ash when it's fresh cut/split isn't much over 30%. For the oak I'm not surprised though, most people say oak needs 2 + years.

Either way like J said above it should be fine for next season.

Hmmm . . . wood that was bucked up and split and left for 18 months should be plenty dry by now . . . wood that was left in log form and not bucked up and split for a while . . . maybe I could see not being dry enough.

The only other two possibilities I could see is that the shed did not allow good air flow -- important for drying wood . . . although one would suspect that unless this shed was a damp, dark and dank area even without good air flow the wood should season up in 18 months . . . or the second possibility being the moisture meter is not accurate/defective (perhaps you should try testing the moisture meter on wood that more or less has a known moisture content . . . such as kiln dried dimensional lumber.)

As far as technique . . . not having a moisture meter myself, but only reading what others do . . . split and test the face of the split where it was just cleaved is the proper way to gauge the moisture content.

Big fat splits will take longer to season in the center than skinny little splits.

Center of the split will be in your stove. That's what I would want to measure.
Just like checking the temp of a chicken or roast in the oven with a meat thermometer.

You may have huge fat splits that take longer to season and you may not have great airflow through the shed.
At least you have another tool to document any changes you make.

Welcome to the forum burnt-out.

Don't be surprised either if the meter is off.

Personally I've never used one nor felt the need of one. We just let the wood season and then burn it, but we let the wood season outdoors. Stack where wind hits the side of the pile and then wait until late fall or early winter to cover the top of the stacks (or move it indoors then). I still believe it is better to get 2-3 years ahead on the wood and not worry about how much moisture is there.

You can check the meter by lightly pressing the prongs into the palm of your hand...should read 35-35%

I wouldn't be surprised if some oak was that high. I would be surprised if white ash was. White ash starts that high green.

ChillyGator said:
You can check the meter by lightly pressing the prongs into the palm of your hand...should read 35-35%

Ow! Ow! You can stop pushing it onto your hand, now! :)
I get 35% in my hand, too.
I agree with Backwoods Savage - don't put too much stock in the meter. If it didn't hiss or sizzle, you were fine to burn it.
I put all my winters wood inside in the fall. It is dry when it goes in, but drier after a few months in the basement, on a heated slab.
Happy burning!

On wood that old and well split if the outside is 17% and the inside is 35% you could guess that your average wood MC is around 26% and that is as scientific as expecting all woods to burn the same. There have been a lot of good questions about air circulation in/through t he shed and split size. But eating the pudding is where the proof is found and like mentioned if you're not popping and sizzling you are probably good enough for your stove. Like I suggested wood that old... and stop complaining about owning a moisture meter...some of us only see pictures of them..(lol). Aging the wood outside and moving it inside only just before the sow flies was a good recomendation too.

Funny, I was driving by the local HF yesterday and decided to drop in to get a cheap moisture meter to compare with the microwave oven-dry method I developed. I knew about the palm test because I used to sell moisture meters when I worked for Woodcraft. I insisted on checking the meter in the store, and it read exactly 35% in my palm, so I bought it. Then I got home and started to spear various bits of wood. All of my firewood read from 0-10% on the outside. I split a piece of cherry and it read 16% on the inside, same piece read 6% on the outside. Every piece of woodworking lumber in my shop read 0%, so I was ready to toss the thing because there's no way wood gets down to 0% outside of an oven.

Fast forward to this morning. I grabbed a big split of cherry. It measured 0% on the outside. I split in down the middle and remeasured the inside... 24% MC! You could pick up a hint of cherry smell and the re-split face actually felt slightly moist and cool to the back of my hand, so it was obviously wetter on the inside (outside felt dry as dirt).

So.....

I split off about 1/2" from the inside of the re-split face and measured it. 24% MC on both faces now. So I cut segment out of the middle and used the oven-dry method to determine the MC. Original piece was 71 grams, final dry weight was 57 grams. 71-57=14. 14/57=.246, or 24.6%! That's just about exactly what the cheap meter said it was.

Then I split off about 1/4" from the outer face and measured that. It still measured 0% on the outside face but 10% just 1/4" in from the outside. I weighed and oven-dried this small piece. Original weight was 19.6 grams, oven-dry weight was 17.8 grams. 19.6-17.8=1.8. 1.8/17.8=.10, or 10%. The cheap little meter was correct again.

What I figure is that the meter has a range 6-42% MC, so anything below 6% is outside the low range and will just register as 0% on the readout. So most of my woodworking stock that has been in the shop for years and has been exposed to the dryness of the heated space is probably not 0%, but lies just outside the range the meter can read. Given the low RH in my shop, this makes total sense since I would expect this wood to be slightly under or over 6% MC. It may be 5.9%, but the meter can't display that so it just displays 0%.

So how dry in my wood? Probably about 6-10% on the outside, 20-25% on the inside (depending on how thick it was split), so that averages about 15% or so for the entire piece. That's just a few points lower than when I did a similar oven-dry test about a month ago (18% then). That makes sense as well, since the wood has been sitting in the dry basement for an extra month.

Take home message? I'm not sure. Clearly, though, the cheap ($12.99) meter was highly accurate... at least on cherry. These things works by measuring the electrical resistance, and that varies among species at the same MC. My ash, oak, maple, box elder and hickory may not give the same degree of accuracy. I'll have to run some more comparisons in the near future.

As far as the problem presented by the OP? Yes, like others here I fully expect that 18 month oak might still be 35% MC on the inside and read only 15% on the outside. Wood dries a lot from the ends, but it dries from the faces as well. The general rule of thumb for woodworkers air-drying hardwood planks is that it takes 1 year per inch of thickness to completely dry to the equilibrium moisture content of your storage area. So a 4" thick board would take 4 years to completely dry. Firewood is shorter than a board, so the end drying process accelerates the drying time. Still, don't expect the very center of a split to be the same as the outside is, even with a wood like ash. Much more likely, you will find a moisture gradient across the thickness of the split, just like I found in my tests. That will probably be present for at least a couple of years, maybe three or four in the case of oak.

Will it burn OK? About the same as anybody's 18 month old wood, I'd guess. Still, better to season it outside and move it into the shed after a year, methinks. And leave the oak for twice as long, that's just something everyone comes to the same conclusion about with seasoning oak.

Oh... I'm keeping the little Harbor Freight meter. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised with its performance, so I guess I have to eat some crow for the disparaging remarks I've made here about these things. Besides, there are charts available on the Interweb that give the resistance of various wood species that I can use to develop a list of factors that can be multiplied by the meter readings. That's all the $200+ meters do anyway, only it's programmed into the unit so you don't have to make the calculations. Still, you have to be able to identify the firewood you are testing. Ironically, those new burners who will most benefit from the use of a moisture meter will be the least likely to be able to ID their firewood (as is obvious by the plethora of "ID This Wood" posts). Without knowing the correct species, you may get an incorrect idea of your moisture content. But it seems to work for cherry just the way it is at any rate.

BTW, don't try the palm test if the sales clerk happens to be an extremely foxy babe. The sweaty palms will surely throw the test off. I pinned the thing, then had to dry off and go find the ugliest dude in the place to try it again. :p

Battenkiller,

Thanks for the test data. My "shed" is actually an open shed design that permits free air flow. Looking forward, I am just going to use the moisture meter for comparison purposes when purchasing "seasoned" wood. It really is amazing how much moisture certain logs retain. My experience is that as long as the wood "looks" good (checking/radial splits/etc.) and registers about 15-20% on the outside, it will burn just fine. Mine does...

Status
Not open for further replies.