Wood moisture

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem around here is they split the wood put it on a conveyor and onto a large pile. The trees have been down for 18 months then cut and split maybe 4-6 months, because it wasn’t split and stacked to allow air flow the drying process is seriously handicapped.
Jim

The term "seasoned" in an ad is meaningless.

This is a FACT! Luckily i have access to wood that I cut and split myself but I have never heard of anyone actually getting seasoned wood from a supplier even though the supplier will say so. Just last week I was driving down the road and was in stop and go traffic, saw a sign out front of a house that said "Seasoned Fire Wood For sale". As I got closer to the side of the yard there were two guys out with a splitter, they were splitting fresh rounds of wood and stacking it. That is what they were advertising as seasoned wood. Now we all know that wood was not seasoned.

Careful of what you buy.

The problem around here is they split the wood put it on a conveyor and onto a large pile. The trees have been down for 18 months then cut and split maybe 4-6 months, because it wasn’t split and stacked to allow air flow the drying process is seriously handicapped.
Jim
Just tell 'em you only want the pieces on top of the pile...;)

Yes, the stuff at the bottom on the ground can stay wet for a long time.

How does that moisture meter chart convert if using your meter not in seventy degree temp. I'm getting at how do you your reading say if it's forty out and your meter is reading 18 to 22%.

Thanks! What is the best way to know if I am buying well seasoned wood, besides the ad saying "seasoned"?

Where I am from, the best way to know you have well-seasoned wood is to season it yourself. From my experience, there is no such thing as well-seasoned wood from a firewood dealer (unless it is kiln dried and that is really expensive). Even then, sometimes they wrap the sides in plastic and leave the wood outside on pallets so it has rain moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.