Wood Oct to April, uncovered

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Some pics of the wood I cut in Oct last year but didn't get split.
It dried some thru the winter.
In Oct, you can see the moisture running out of the center of the rounds
Now it has many cracks & is splitting
I guess wood does dry out thru winter here, (freeze dried???)
It's the first fire wood project this spring when I can get the splitter out there, get it split & stacked. 100_6775.JPG100_7409.JPG100_7410.JPG

If it's very wet, wood will dry any time. Sooner you can get it split, the faster that moisture will leave now that it's warming up. :)

Some pics of the wood I cut in Oct last year but didn't get split.
It dried some thru the winter.
In Oct, you can see the moisture running out of the center of the rounds
Now it has many cracks & is splitting
I guess wood does dry out thru winter here, (freeze dried???)
It's the first fire wood project this spring when I can get the splitter out there, get it split & stacked.View attachment 65601View attachment 65602View attachment 65603
Nice clean rounds ,that BK is gonna love them come winter.Got a tree just like that in my front yard Birch?

I bucked up some ash, maple and birch last Fall and just picked it up last weekend . . . much of the wood looked just like your wood . . . all checked on the ends which is always nice to see . . . but of course once split the insides were still pretty moist.

@Bogy that is a lot of cracking/weather checking! How cold did it get up there? Wondering is the freezing moisture expansion pushed it open. Does it get cold and then just stay cold, or do you bounce above and below freezing where your live?

Looks like Birch which means that the bark is a moisture barrier and the wood can rot in place if left long enough.

Good Idea to split it sooner rather than later.

Loose birch bark is an awesome firestarter

+1 Agreed. Once those rounds are split you will be in great shape.

Plan was to split it last Fall but 2 days after i got it in, it snowed, & turned cold. Didn't want to use the splitter in the cold weather & I had to get other things done when winter snuck in on us early. Got cold in Oct & never warmed up until lately. Long cold winter with lots of snow.

Birch will rot in the rounds in 2 years, the bark is water tight, been there done that got the "T" shirt.

No need for "kindling" here, when I load the stove, when the birch is 2 years dry/seasoned, throw in a piece of birch bark & the whole stove full is a roaring fire in a few minutes.

Gotta get it split & seasoning, got some holes in the wood shed to fill.
Got a few cords of spruce beside the birch rounds ready to go for next year & the middle shed (5+ cords per section) is 2 yr + old birch. I like to season the birch at least 2 years, burns great after that.

I'm sure the inside of the wood is wet, I've seen water on the wedge of the splitter after a full winter of stacked in rounds, the checking is just on the ends but shows that our 6 month, dry, cold winters will suck moisture out of wood..

The yard turns to goo when it thaws now, I may try to get the splitter out there soon. Maybe park it on some plywood.
15 hours & change of sunshine now. Was 32° last night. Almost time to plant :) Lakes & river will be thawing in a few weeks.
This AM pics:100_7414.JPG 100_7413 08-33-15.JPG

Plan was to split it last Fall but 2 days after i got it in, it snowed, & turned cold. Didn't want to use the splitter in the cold weather & I had to get other things done when winter snuck in on us early. Got cold in Oct & never warmed up until lately. Long cold winter with lots of snow.

Birch will rot in the rounds in 2 years, the bark is water tight, been there done that got the "T" shirt.

No need for "kindling" here, when I load the stove, when the birch is 2 years dry/seasoned, throw in a piece of birch bark & the whole stove full is a roaring fire in a few minutes.

Gotta get it split & seasoning, got some holes in the wood shed to fill.
Got a few cords of spruce beside the birch rounds ready to go for next year & the middle shed (5+ cords per section) is 2 yr + old birch. I like to season the birch at least 2 years, burns great after that.

I'm sure the inside of the wood is wet, I've seen water on the wedge of the splitter after a full winter of stacked in rounds, the checking is just on the ends but shows that our 6 month, dry, cold winters will suck moisture out of wood..

The yard turns to goo when it thaws now, I may try to get the splitter out there soon. Maybe park it on some plywood.
15 hours & change of sunshine now. Was 32° last night. Almost time to plant :) Lakes & river will be thawing in a few weeks.
This AM pics:View attachment 65616 View attachment 65615

You have a nice piece of property!

Thanks My O
You can see the small lake out back thru the trees (not mine) is still froze.

Nice Dave. A few more days and the snow will be gone. Looks like you took vacation time at the right time. Now back to work. Like you said, it's almost time to get at the garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.