Wood on the side of the road

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Singed Eyebrows said:
pen said:
my neighbor has a truck that's just been sitting there for years that'd be easy to fix. I suppose I can just go hop in that tomorrow and take it if I like too ;)

Sorry but I think it's more important to respect an owner's right as owner.

pen
Absolutly, just so long as its not next to my wooden ladder, lol. Jay might shy away from ladders, I'm not so picky, Randy

Lol Cant do heights......But will stand there and fall.

velvetfoot said:
Well then, if friendliness is the object, how about taking all the little branches the power co. didn't chip, and not just the big pieces? That'd be friendly.

Only in the east does the working man (free mind you) Gets so much crap! lol I will keep anyone cutting as long as they need wood.

It sure would be friendly, but you need to ask! Maybe they want those small branches for rabbit habitat :)

pen

Around here if you want something you do not put or leave it by the side of the road. It will be gone & nobody will be charged with theft. The only time there is any real interest in firewood here is if a tree gets posted on Craigslist. Out east it sounds like its a "hangin" offense to take wood by the road, here they come out & thank you after its loaded, Randy

Singed Eyebrows said:
Around here if you want something you do not put or leave it by the side of the road. It will be gone & nobody will be charged with theft. The only time there is any real interest in firewood here is if a tree gets posted on Craigslist. Out east it sounds like its a "hangin" offense to take wood by the road, here they come out & thank you after its loaded, Randy

lol, Yep here if your not affriad to work they will be asking you to please come and take this wood.......

Singed Eyebrows said:

Same here.If its piled or stacked on the curb when in town or same on edge of rural road its free for whoever gets its first.More than once I've had people come out from the house or when outside & thank me for cleaning up their mess.Whether its cut to length or still in long pieces.Once in a while I find some nice Mulberry or Walnut,occasionally various Oak cut from a fencerow & laying in a pile in ditch.

Guessing that the whole East Coast deal could be due to the fact that in my neck of the woods so many people either heat with wood themselves or have family or friends that heat with wood . . . or simply think they're sitting on a proverbial gold mine and see that rotting tree as downed dollar bills.

firefighterjake said:
Guessing that the whole East Coast deal could be due to the fact that in my neck of the woods so many people either heat with wood themselves or have family or friends that heat with wood . . . or simply think they're sitting on a proverbial gold mine and see that rotting tree as downed dollar bills.

Yea we have those people around here aswell. Happen to me on a big cherry tree guy offer them 100.00 bucks for it after I started the tree. The lady stop me and said that the its now the other guys tree unless I want to pay more tha 100.00...Lol the tree fell over in a wind storm trunk was rotted. He had to want it for milling..lol Not more than a cord of firewood there!

Status
Not open for further replies.