Wood pellet market cools after a hot start

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swaybar

Oct 18, 2009
Mid-Coast, Maine
A couple of years ago, Finest Hearth and Home's five Maine stores were selling 10 to 20 pellet stoves a day. Today, the company is lucky if it sells that many in a week.

Last year, Corinth Wood Pellets was running 24 hours a day, seven days a week to produce enough pellets to keep up with demand. Four shifts, 50 people. This year, it's running half of that.

http://www.sunjournal.com/node/842618

I will agree. This year there is a slow start. It will be a good year for the pellet customer.

Eric

a slow start, I'd agree, but I do worry about late summer/fall.......will everyone wait "until the last minute", when logistically, the supply chain wont be able to handle the demand? Guess we will just have to wait and see......

Interesting article. I think Les Otten sums it up well "For us to assume that oil is going to stay stable is a very, very risky assumption."

If oil prices rise dramatically again, which they probably will at some point, many new "pellet pigs" will be born.

For now us current pigs can take advantage of the decent pellet prices that are out there.

Lousyweather said:
a slow start, I'd agree.......will everyone wait "until the last minute", when logistically, the supply chain wont be able to handle the demand?......

Not me......done & ready for next winter.

imacman said:
Lousyweather said:
a slow start, I'd agree.......will everyone wait "until the last minute", when logistically, the supply chain wont be able to handle the demand?......

Not me......done & ready for next winter.

X2 With the deals I found locally. I had no choice(the pig in me just would not let me pass them up!) but to top off! I will probably grab 1/2 ton or so more this fall! OINK!

6 tons in the bunker and space for another or two. being tempted by my stove dealer offering hardwood pellets for 260 delivered.

He only has one type (and wants to get rid of them)

rowerwet said:

What brand of Hardwood and what dealer?

kinsman stoves said:
I will agree. This year there is a slow start. It will be a good year for the pellet customer.

Eric

Not sure about that.

Pellet stove dealer I bought my stove from sent a postcard stating that their prebuy program was starting, and that supplies are limited.
Must buy in full tons.
First ton is $290.
Buy two tons and price drops to $270/ton
Buy three tons and price goes to $265/ton
Buy five tons and get the price of $260/ton.
Postcard does not state what brand(s).

This is in central Ohio where I have been able to pick up Rocky Mountains and Somersets for $199 - $250 per ton

Lousyweather said:
a slow start, I'd agree, but I do worry about late summer/fall.......will everyone wait "until the last minute", when logistically, the supply chain wont be able to handle the demand? Guess we will just have to wait and see......

I am all set for next season too. I normally have my storage space restocked by
the end of April every year.

gbreda said:
rowerwet said:

What brand of Hardwood and what dealer?
he is my CB dealer Janco Classic wood boilers, I can't remember the brand now... I think it may have been made in Canada.

Bantam said:
kinsman stoves said:

Eric

Not sure about that.

Pellet stove dealer I bought my stove from sent a postcard stating that their prebuy program was starting, and that supplies are limited.
Must buy in full tons.
First ton is $290.
Buy two tons and price drops to $270/ton
Buy three tons and price goes to $265/ton
Buy five tons and get the price of $260/ton.
Postcard does not state what brand(s).

This is in central Ohio where I have been able to pick up Rocky Mountains and Somersets for $199 - $250 per ton

Sounds like a real deal - not !

Status
Not open for further replies.