Wood Pellet Stove Ash Trap Vertical Chamber Cleaning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

After cleaning out the ash in the bottom of the Ash Traps, I wondered about cleaning along the sides of the ash trap vertical chamber all the way up to the top next to the heat exchanger tubes??

So I removed the 2 heat exchanger baffle plates to get to the top of the ash trap vertical chambers and also removed the Brick backing.

Then I went to Lowes and purchased the 3" Pellet Stove Brush and Flex Rod. Since the chamber measured approx 3 Inches square, I thought it might work and it does!!

Then after brushing up and down twice I cleaned with the ash trap shop vac adapter.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/65260/

See Pics of 3" flue brush and rod below.

Is that what you do to clean these chambers?

How do you clean the narrow space above the heat exchanger tubes? I have a very tight space where even the ash trap adapter can not fit in. It really needs a brushing??

Attachments

• AshChamber1BrushInBottomSC.jpg
    AshChamber1BrushInBottomSC.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 635
  • AshChamber2BrushInTopSC.jpg
    AshChamber2BrushInTopSC.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 616
  • AshChamber3BrushInBottomCloseUpSC.jpg
    AshChamber3BrushInBottomCloseUpSC.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 606
  • AshChamber4-3InBrush&FlexRodSC.jpg
    AshChamber4-3InBrush&FlexRodSC.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 563
Don,

On my Enviro I pull down the baffle plate, close the door, and run the heat exchange scraper in/out a few times until it runs smooth.
Then I sweep the ashes from the shelves and burn chamber bottom into the ash pan.
Then I grab the vacuum and suck everything up that remains.
Then I open the ash trap doors and using the adapter I suck out all the ash from the traps.
I then use the adapter up and around the heat exchanger tubes as best as I can get.
I bang the tubes and the fake fire brick sides a few times with the vac nozzle. Knocks anything loose.
I then vac up anything that falls.
I clean the glass with a scrubby sponge and water. I use a little ash if I have a tough spot. Paper towel to wipe it clean.
Scrape out the burn pot liner (on the back deck)
Vac out the burn pot.
Take a quick suction on each of the ash trap doors and the combustion air intake tube to make sure they are clear.

Re-fill the liner with a handful of pellets
Hit them with the torch
Close door and enjoy the heat.

I save the combustion path for the 1 ton cleaning when I pull the stove onto the front deck, remove everything and hit it with compressed air. :)

---Nailer---

Bottle brushes work really well for the tight spots where the regular
vent brush won't reach. I get them at the local flea market and
have seen them at the hardware store. Yesterday destroyed the
last one I had so can't show a pic. The only thing is the ones I've
found don't have long handles so you can't fish them down too far
behind stuff. A 3" vent brush with the bristles trimmed might work.

Hello Xena

Thanks for the tip, I am sure there are many people who can use it.

Also you made me think about the Over the Heat Exchanger Tubes cleaning and I just found the perfect Tool!

It is long and thin and should get all the way in! It will scrape out the caked ash right above the heat tubes!

See pic. I found it in my tool box. It is an older wooden handle 12" icing spatula for icing a cake my wife bought 25 years ago.

Here is a link to a similar one you can buy today!
http://www.cheftools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=02-0617 01&utm_source=google+base&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=google+shopping

Attachments

• PSOverAirExchangerTubesCleaningToolSC.jpg
    PSOverAirExchangerTubesCleaningToolSC.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 405
Don,

If it is a "tool" from the construction industry I would guess some kind of plaster spreader.

Good luck with the cleaning.

Glad the adapter is working out well for you.

I have to make 3 more today for other folks on the site. :)
Spreading the cleaning cheer....one stove at a time.

Merry Christmas, HNY
---Mike---

Status
Not open for further replies.