Wood Pellet Stove - Home Made Hopper Extension!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

My friend gave me a great idea! This was his 1st draft! See pic below:

This would change this 55 lb hopper to atleast a 95 lb hopper!

Now wait before you say that is wood and combustible, let's think this one out.

You could use heavy gauge steel and weld the corners. Also have to notch the bottom.
But that is no longer an easy home project.

So how about using plywood covered with aluminum flashing?

Or

How about Cement Board covered with aluminum flashing for protection against chipping and is fire resistant?

Now do you have any comments?

Attachments

• EnviroHomeMadeHopperExtension.jpg
    EnviroHomeMadeHopperExtension.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 6,376
Reactions: Mainely Saws
Your lid is used for the back?? What becomes the Lid?

A hopper fire can happen..... Unless its Lined on BOTH sides, then it wont matter the material.

Steel is Non combustible. Better to heir on the side of caution. IMO

We have made a few diff hopper ext. for our own use in our back room at the shop, they have always had a lid and was always made of metal.....Just my two cents for what it is worth :)

Hate to tell you, that is the dumbest thing I've seen on this site. Have a steel one made, what's wrong with you doing something like that? Plywood covered with aluminum siding or cement board with aluminum siding, I can't believe your asking these things.

Tom C.

I like the one in the picture if you double your insurance:cool: and run. Please use metal.

Got a problem with painters tape? :p

According to my friend the painter's tape goes all the way around to hold the hopper lid straight up for the back side! LOL

It may be dumb but it was cheap and works great! Sure steel is the best but I am not a welder and do not have a large welding metal fab shop! !

Thanks for your comments

No one is using this extension currently it was just a proof of concept of how easy it can be to make a hopper extension.

We have even used light weight aluminum as a hopper and pop rivited it togather and used high temp sealant on the edges but again we always made sure it had a lid... To me lid's are important!

Reactions: DexterDay
We have even used light weight aluminum as a hopper and pop rivited it togather and used high temp sealant on the edges but again we always made sure it had a lid... To me lid's are important!

Hello AbetterChimneynm

How much for the parts would you say?

What do you use to cut the aluminum?

Any pics?

its not that expensive to get things fabricated either. just draw it up and drop it off at any of the dozens of metal fab shops that are likely very near to your home. We have to get custom stuff worked up very frequently and it really very affordable.

They sell the sheets of the Aluminum Here in New Mexico is around 100 buck and you can do up to four-five hopper extensions with one sheet, I cut the aluminum with tin snips and the the Silcone is like 9.99 one tube is enough, and a box of rivits 10 bucks or so and i can get pics if you need them

Shawn

What? No "Hopper" quotes???????

Is that a gun cabinet in your kitchen?
Kinda? The family room amd Kitchen are kinda combined. Its one large room. With carpet and hardwood floors as the separation. Then further to the left, is the dining room (Quad room) then the living room, followed by a hallway to the.bedrooms amd bathrooms. But the house is very ope. Another reason its so easy to heat.

Kinda? The family room amd Kitchen are kinda combined. Its one large room. With carpet and hardwood floors as the separation. Then further to the left, is the dining room (Quad room) then the living room, followed by a hallway to the.bedrooms amd bathrooms. But the house is very ope. Another reason its so easy to heat.
Got any pics of the gun rack in your truck window?

Status
Not open for further replies.