Wood Pellet Stove Top End? (Convection Air Temp on Highest Heat setting) Good Answer and Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I have an Avalon Astoria and purchased a Maverick ET-7 Wireless Remote Thermometer with a thermo coupler to measure the output of the stove's convection air by placing the probe into the heat exchanger tube.

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Remote-Check-Wireless-Thermometer-Probes/dp/B00004SZ10

Unfortunately the thermometer's temp range pinned at 410 Degrees F limit with the pellet stove's heat setting on 3 which is only midrange!! (Pellet Stove's heat Setting Range is 1-6).
Then I smelled something burning!! Probably a new probe smell but the instructions said not to use it over the 410 deg F limit!

Does anyone know how hot their stove's air gets, so I can select a thermometer with a range that can measure it??

Thanks
Don

I've seen harman 68's hit 600 deg on the firebox b4... our VF170 in the warehouse will hang out around 6-700 on the heat exchanger during normal runs...

Thanks Summit

I guess that settles it!! thank-you so much

I have searched the Internet and the ONLY inexpensive accurate digital thermometer to measure that high is the Cole-Parmer® Remote-Monitoring Thermocouple Thermometer

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=8646003

Large pic
http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/large_image.asp?sku=8646003&img=86460_03 _05.jpg

This meter has a 4-ft. ribbon micro-cable that allows you to place the probe within an area and close the door without affecting the probe or the door seal. Accurately monitor temperature within freezers, water baths, heating blocks, incubators, refrigerators, and other areas. The meter includes a fast-response type-K probe that can be used for general purpose applications. Users can also choose from a wide verity of probe sold separately for surface, liquid, air or semi-solid materials.
What’s Included:
one beaded-wire type K probe, NIST-traceable certificate, leatherette case, and one 9 V battery
Specifications
Temp range -58 to 1382°F
Resolution 1°F
Accuracy ±2°F .75% between 32 to 932°F and ±2°F 1% between 933 to 1382°F. Below 32 accuracies are: -4 ± 8°F, -40°F ± 8°F, and -58°F ± 10°F
Probe Thermocouple
Display 4-digit LCD, 0.7” high
Probe type Type-K
Probe(s) included Yes
Dimensions 2 3/4” W x 4 1/4”H x 3/4” (76 x 114 x 18mm).
Power 9-Volt Alkaline battery (included)

Attachments

• DigitalTherm.jpg
    DigitalTherm.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 568
Don,

Any good multimeter will have a thermal setting for a thermocouple probe.
They can be had inexpensively now a days.

You could use something like one of these for a probe.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#thermocouples/=5sgop9
you might also need ot get the adapter plug to go from the thermocouple wire and a GR (banana) plug for the meter connection.

I use a Fluke 187 meter and a bare wire probe. I think at some point I'd like to get a magnetic mount probe.

Good Luck.
---Nailer---

Hello

Thanks about the multimeter. However since I do not have one with a temp scale that can be expensive.

I got the cole-palmer digital thermometer today. It comes with a nice case but here is the kicker.

The probe that comes with it, which is an insulated piece of approx 20 # wire only goes up to 482 Deg F.

So if anyone wants to get one, you should order the 5 foot special high temperature stainless probe with the stainless steel flex wire that goes up to 1500 Deg F. Catalog 085-0562 for $64.00

The probe is costly but the only other way is with an IR gun that is hard to keep in the same spot for comparing pellet brands.

Don
P.S - Here are the high temp probe specs.....

http://www.coleparmer.in/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=0850562&pfx=WW

WW-08505-62
Type K Small-diameter thermocouple probe with miniature stainless steel handles;8"L

Qty: Add to Cart
$64.00 / each (USD)
Click for discounts : In stock.
Product Rating

0 stars
(0 Ratings)
Write a Review
Search through our large selection of Thermometers!
Choose from a wide variety of general-purpose standard, micro-, and heavy-duty probes. Probest with handle feature straign relief spring that protects the cable connection against damage due to repeated flexing and tugging. Standard glass-filled polypropylene handles measure 5.5"L.
Specifications
Type K
Temp range -418 to 1500°F (-250 to 816°C)
Probe length 8"
Diameter 0.063"
Cable length 5 ft
Response time 10 sec
Connections miniconnector
Time constant 2 sec
Junction grounded
Sheath material 316 SS
Handle SS

Don2222 said:
Hello

I have an Avalon Astoria and purchased a Maverick ET-7 Wireless Remote Thermometer with a thermo coupler to measure the output of the stove's convection air by placing the probe into the heat exchanger tube.

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Remote-Check-Wireless-Thermometer-Probes/dp/B00004SZ10

Unfortunately the thermometer's temp range pinned at 410 Degrees F limit with the pellet stove's heat setting on 3 which is only midrange!! (Pellet Stove's heat Setting Range is 1-6).
Then I smelled something burning!! Probably a new probe smell but the instructions said not to use it over the 410 deg F limit!

Does anyone know how hot their stove's air gets, so I can select a thermometer with a range that can measure it??

Thanks
Don

I would think you would get a better idea of the stoves temperature output by placing the probe in the air stream outside the stove. When the probe is place in the heat exchanger tube you are getting a false reading of the probe touching the metal directly. As you found out by the probe melting and failing. At least you won't need such a high temp probe then also since 400* output temps would be nuts. Wouldn't be that be nice though. This is just my opinion.

I guess inquiring minds really DO need to know. Things like this make me thankful that I'm simple. Enjoy.

Hello

You have a point about getting the best temperature reading. I just tried taking measurements with the stove set to 2. When touching the metal inside the heat exchanger tube close to the front. (The hotest area) I get 250 deg F. Then I held the probe in the middle of the heat exchanger right at the mouth or exit point and it read about 200 deg F. Now since I have safety bars going across, it will be very easy to tie the probe into the best fixed position without touching the metal. Although I will do that with the high temp probe when it arrives because the insulation gets very hot on the standard probe. This should be the best setup for comparing brands of pellets. Also I will use it to make a chart of all the heat settings with each fan speed to find the optimum output!! So thanks for your comments and please let me know if you think of anything else.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.