Wood Pellets Around WI or MN

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemms

Oct 18, 2006
Edgar, WI
Hello...
I am looking for soft wood pellets in Wisconsin, Minnesota, or the UP... Apparently, we may have already started looking to late, as it sounds like prices are already starting to rise. Has anyone had any experience with Valley Forest Wood Products out of Marcell, MN? They have softwood pellets for $150/ton. Sounds good, but I don't know anything about the pellets, and I ran into problem last year with some pellets. Warming Trends out of Onalaska, WI is selling softwood pellets for $225 - $300 /ton. That is more than what I am planning to spend. Wouldn't that be great?....You buy a pellet stove because of the rising gas costs, and then the pellet prices go whack!
Well, any information on pellets from Valley Forest Wood Products or other places in WI, MN, or the UP would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Look at it this way, you can purchase now or wait for another Katrinia type event and if you can find pellets figure 400 a ton.

Earlier around here in the North East $189 per ton of decent pellets. In a month expect that to rise Aa katrinia or incident involving oil flow all bets are off.

Last year the west coast had severe shortages and if found over $300 per ton. Remember Europe is also buying pellets. Raw manufacturing goods is down ,due to a slow down in the housing market, less lumber is being sold or processed

No. I can burn natural gas for a lot less than paying $300, or more, a ton for wood pellets. So, before I pay that kind of price, I'll turn the natural gas boiler on and let the pellet stove collect dust... I knew that I should have went for the wood stove instead of the pellet stove. Anytime to have to rely on other people for something, you're at risk. Oh well, consider it a lesson learned. Not going to give up on it yet though...

I'd try a few bags of the $150 per ton stuff any cooler night to see what happens. If it works stock up, everbody here wishes they could get $150 per ton.

It has been my contention, that our gov should subsidise this type of fuel to encourage less dependency upon imported fuel. Low interest loans for increased production capacities

At $150/ton that's a great price. I'd get a bag and examine it. Pour it into a container like a clean garbage can so that you can see what has settled to the bottom of the bag. Look for lots of sawdust, maybe sand? Examine the pellets - are they consistent in length? What is the shortest and longest one. Too long pellets have a tendency to bridge in certain stoves. Put them in the stove (with very clean glass) and run the stove with the windows open. Observe the flame, is it orange or whitish yellow? After the stove has cooled down, check the burnpot, ash area and glass. That will give you a sense of how cleanly they burn.

If all is go, time to order. Even if they're not perfect, at that price you may put up with a little more frequent cleaning. But if the glass gets dirty real quickly and crud build up in the firepot after burning a bag, then it may be one to pass up on.

Also Marth sells in your state:
http://www.marthwood.com/fuel.htm

EDIT: I just found the chart I posted awhile back. It looks like the Valley pellets are a bit long (1.5") and have a much higher inorganic ash content. They are considered "standard" grade, not premium. So definitely try before you buy.

Attachments

• pellet_info.jpg
    pellet_info.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 890
Yeah, I would definately like to try some before buying a year's supply... I agree, at $150/ton, if they are any good. I'd buy a bunch. As for Marth...I've heard some not so good things about them. Now, they could have improved their pellets since. I had a couple problems last year with my Mt. Vernon that the technician blamed on pellets being to long. I don't want to go through that again. Thanks for the data sheet.

Yes, I'd stick with premium grade pellets. (info updated below)

Here's a local list for you:
Bay Lakes Companies, LLC Oconto Falls, WI 920-846-3461
Dejno’s, Inc. Kenosha, WI 262/657-1210 - pine pellet bedding
Marth Wood Shaving Supply Marathon, WI 715/842-9200
MT Timber Wood Products Mt. Iron, MN 218/735-8600
Pellet America Corporation Appleton, WI 920/954-0466 - industrial
Valley Forest Resources, Inc. Marcell, MN 218/832-3611 - standard grade
Vulcan Wood Products Marshfield, WI 906/563-8995 - possible, worth checking out

This link might be of use too:
http://www.pelletheat.org/3/residential/fuelAvailability.cfm

Hey Lemms, please post what you find out, ok? I'm local and have not bought yet either, I did find a good corn contact that will sell to me way below cost (a 'church' thing!) so that's a start. Still need pellets too.

Well, I found that Marth is as $208/ton. From what I heard about Marth pellets, that is more than I care to pay...
I contacted Vulcan. They have hardwood pellets that we could pick-up at the facility, just on the WI & UP border, for $150/ton. They also have a softwood pellet that they sell as animal bedding for $175/ton. I'm not sure of the quality of that stuff though. The dealer nearest me is in Pittsville, WI. So, I am waitng to hear back from them as far as their prices being already shipped down here. I'll post more as I find out more...

150 / ton what a deal. I would dive on that in a second if they had it around here. 220 is about it, now and last winter. I suppose it would depend on how your stove bunrs with them. Mine will digest anything and work reasonably well, even half wet corn as long as there is some pellets mixed in. At least in my experience you can get away with a lot by diluting something problematic with some high quality pellets.

They are industrial pellets and are longer than usual. In many auger fed stoves the pellets will form a bridge over the auger and will not feed. But if your stove handles them, great.

Status
Not open for further replies.