Wood Pellets - Cold or Warm Up before use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I made the mistake of dumping in a couple of cold bags of wood pellets in the cold garage. Approx 40 Degs. The heat was not so hot and more ash in the burn pot!

So is the best way to Warm the Moose? Maine's choice in this case. LOL

Do warm pellets produce hotter heat?

See pic

Attachments

• WarmTheMoose.JPG
    WarmTheMoose.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 254
Hello

I made the mistake of dumping in a couple of cold bags of wood pellets in the cold garage. Approx 40 Degs. The heat was not so hot and more ash in the burn pot!

So is the best way to Warm the Moose? Maine's choice in this case. LOL

Do warm pellets produce hotter heat?

See pic
Yes I think it matters-- I have found better heat output from room stored(near stove) than from from outside or in colder storage area

It does not matter even the slightest, teeniest, most itsy-bitsy littlest bit. Remember that these pellets, although initially cold, will be warmed up by the time most of them get fed through the auger anyways. Even if they were affected by the cold, (which they are not) they would be warm by the time that they hit the burnpot. When you pour a bag of "cold" pellets into the hopper, they will be warming up waiting for the old pellets in there to be fed through first. If you notice more ash and less heat from colder pellets it is because you are looking too hard!

Could be the Maine Choice. My brother-in-law had some those and he hated em'

Suspect its the Maines Choice, they are pretty ashy and leave clumps in my stove. But they are cheap. I usually slosh the old pellets down from the hopper so the warm ones are first in line then dump the new ones on top.

Could be the Maine Choice. My brother-in-law had some those and he hated em'

I sell Maine's Choice. They are $209/ ton with a healthy margin. If you are into cheap pellets, and price alone drives your spending pattern (and I say this sincerely, not condescendingly), then this is the right pellet for you. If you are not able to look past higher ash, then this may not be the perfect fit. In all fairness, I think the OP was saying that the "cold" Maine's Choice were not as hot and higher in ash than the "room temp" Maine's Choice.

I sell Maine's Choice. They are $209/ ton with a healthy margin. If you are into cheap pellets, and price alone drives your spending pattern (and I say this sincerely, not condescendingly), then this is the right pellet for you. If you are not able to look past higher ash, then this may not be the perfect fit. In all fairness, I think the OP was saying that the "cold" Maine's Choice were not as hot and higher in ash than the "room temp" Maine's Choice.

Yes, that is what I am saying. Thanks
Also from what you guys said it seems like the temperature factor here may effect the Maine's Choice MORE than other wood pellets.

Good info here. Thanks everyone.

Is it possible that the stored pellets picked up some moisture from the uncontrolled environment? Pellets are, after all, wood and wood will absorb moisture from it's environment. Higher moisture content would result in lower heat output.
I can't come up with any explanation for more ash, except that there will always be variation from bag to bag.

Something like the Selkirk DT where the warm air circulates around the bags of pellets?

Or
Maybe a super size commercial chafing dish? ! ! !
http://www.centralrestaurant.com/Ch...d=1819453351&gclid=CJLWrZ_JwrUCFULf4AodmVAALQ

Or maybe something that uses a little sterno or chafing fuel?
http://www.zorotools.com/g/00066438...kw={keyword}&gclid=CPz8ptrJwrUCFQyg4AodRnAA4w

A little technical for me Don...I plan on toasting them in a cast iron skillet...Kinda like roasting pine nuts!

Is it possible that the stored pellets picked up some moisture from the uncontrolled environment? Pellets are, after all, wood and wood will absorb moisture from it's environment. Higher moisture content would result in lower heat output.
I can't come up with any explanation for more ash, except that there will always be variation from bag to bag.

Yes, I stored them in my garage and where I store the snow blower on the tractor after each storm. The snow melts off and pools so the garage is cold and very damp!

After leaving them in the warm dry basement for a day they burn much better!

Yes, I stored them in my garage and where I store the snow blower on the tractor after each storm. The snow melts off and pools so the garage is cold and very damp!

After leaving them in the warm dry basement for a day they burn much better!

Sounds like a viable solution would be to store them in your basement instead of the garage!;)

Sounds like a viable solution would be to store them in your basement instead of the garage!;)
Storing them in the basement from the start would be the best arrangement. When they get moved from the cold, damp garage to the basement, you not only lose energy warming them up again, but you also lose energy evaporating any moisture they bring with them.
Of course, if you need more humidity in your home, during winter, the moisture may be welcome. Here, in New England, winter air can be painfully dry.

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Moose in the stove.jpg

The only downside to storing Maine's Choice in the cold, is that the moose will get chilly.

Reactions: Augmister
Yes, that is what I am saying. Thanks
Also from what you guys said it seems like the temperature factor here may effect the Maine's Choice MORE than other wood pellets.

Good info here. Thanks everyone.

I dont think thats what he meant at all Don? A cold pellet will be warm Long before it hits the pot. Even if it isn't, that Fire (1,000°-1,700°) isnt gonna care about a 40° pellet?

I think he was getting at Maines choice being Sub par pellet and you could stand to buy a hotter pellet if you wanted more heat? Also, wasn't that DT supposed to help the clumping ash problem? Did it?

It does not matter even the slightest, teeniest, most itsy-bitsy littlest bit. Remember that these pellets, although initially cold, will be warmed up by the time most of them get fed through the auger anyways. Even if they were affected by the cold, (which they are not) they would be warm by the time that they hit the burnpot. When you pour a bag of "cold" pellets into the hopper, they will be warming up waiting for the old pellets in there to be fed through first. If you notice more ash and less heat from colder pellets it is because you are looking too hard!

100% agree with this statement

Is this a serious question?

I was hoping it wasn't... But apparently :(

maybe there is a way to use the heat from the spark bucket to warm up the unopened bags before use.

I am sure I just lost some IQ points by reading this post...

Reactions: smoke show
I am sure I just lost some IQ points by reading this post...
Awwww, C'mon. There is no science to learning the ropes of pellet burning. It's all "trial and error," and you can't have just trial without a little error...Cut Don a little bit-o-slack here. I'd be willing to bet that there were others with the same Q....But only Don had the "brass set" to ask it.:)

Reactions: jimmieguns
guessing the question came to him from a customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.