Wood Pellets in Central Maine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys,

just had a co-worker call me from east corinth...he stopped and asked for me if they would sell to the general public,and they told him they only sell in bulks of 25,000 lbs. or more. they have distributors at aubuchon and blue seal( agway). i dont know about the rest of you but i surely dont need 25,000 lbs...lol. the blue seal deal at 219 a ton sounds great though.

mike

That's only 12.5 tons MJ.. I bet that is one heating season in Maine worth of pellets for someone with a large home. Seeing as the heating season runs from July 31 until June 31. And that is when the days in July hit atleast a high of 60. haha

That Waterville guy i talked to said he usually gets $35 for delivery but because i live in Embden he would have to bump it up a bit . Great fella, company owned biz for 90 years . Said if i wasn't in a hurry , he would "pool" me up with other people in my area . Told him i was fine with that & give me 5 tons . You fellas in the Waterville area are very lucky . Maine pellets by the way. He said it was the first thing made locally he was selling since ice . He said his phone was ringing off the wall. $219 is a great deal , Muss

I've been talking to teh guy at Kittery Ace hardware and they are going to be starting pellet pre-buy soon for Southern Maine.
He was saying he was expecting to be able to offer premium pellets (probably Naragansett) for 250 per ton with no delivery charge.

Home and Hearth in Hampton NH is selling NE Hardwoods for 229 with a $105 (flat) delivery charge to Southern Maine.

Mike,

Do you know whether whether those 25,000 lbs were bagged or in totes or how they are contained and what the price would be? I used eight or nine tons/per season with two stoves (one in the house and one in the five-room office), and if the price was right and they could be stored appropriately, it might be worth it.

Thanks,
Moe

moe,
i believe they are totes. the guy who checked for methinks they are bagged off sight for the distributors who sell them. no idea on the price though.

mike

There is a plan now to install silos in Eastport, ME to hold bulk pellets that will then be shipped to China. I don't know why we're shipping them to China when more people should be burning them here, but maybe it'll help to reduce oil consumption in China too (they are driving oil prices up because of their increased consumption).

mlwschultz said:
There is a plan now to install silos in Eastport, ME to hold bulk pellets that will then be shipped to China. I don't know why we're shipping them to China when more people should be burning them here, but maybe it'll help to reduce oil consumption in China too (they are driving oil prices up because of their increased consumption).

Seriously?
That does not make any sense to me. I could see export to Europe, but I can't imagine them getting a very good price in China. Particularly after you factor in the transportation costs.
I wonder if your source is accurate on that.

They will need something other than all of our trash and scrap metal to fill all those ships returning to China for another load of carp back here. Beats deadheading. I would charge em double or triple if I was the pellet supplier.
Will

The article talks about shipping pellets to Europe.

mlwschultz said:
Why are they being exported at all? Seems like we need to convert more people in the US to heating with pellets, rather than burning oil.

I really think we're going to get there, at least in the NorthEast. My understanding is that some of the pellets going to Europe are basically honoring existing contracts from several years back.
I think we're going to quickly hit a point where it will be more profitable for producers to sell their pellets domestically rather than incur shipping charges across the Atlantic.
The Govt could certainly tip things that way with favorable legislation for the industry...but we need some different players in place before we see much happening inthat space.

i currently have premium plus hardwood pellets for sale for $250.00 really good pellets out of troy pa.
If anyone needs some let me know currently in biddeford bangor and rockland area delivery available.

Hello fellow Mainiacs.

I live in Glenburn, about 5 miles from the Corinth plant. I am considering installing a pellet boiler this summer for heat and possibly DHW. I burn about 1200 gal of oil throughout the year and figure about 8-9 ton of pellets after installing the boiler. I will be in the market for pellets next fall for sure, not sure where to purchase them. I am learning a lot from this forum. Does a place like Corinth sell to an individual if I will drive right into their yard to pick them up? What about bulk delivery?

Also, I would appreciate any input on boilers. I am leaning toward a Harmon PB105, but went and looked at Tarm 1.5 and was impressed at the workmanship but not the price (10,500 on sale). I have researched the Froling, but I cannot get a helpful response from the company. An answer of "2nd half of the year" and no answer to who will be selling and installing does not give me a warm feeling. It appears to be one heck of a machine, but the price will probably reflect that. Any inputs about pellets or the boiler would be appreciated. I would purchase the Harman from St Albains, anyone have input on their service?

Thanks

Greg

Im not sure if corinth will sell to individuales but its worth a try calling them but since there fire im not sure how long they will be down may set them back a little in production
O'Hara Ice will have pellets available in Bangor if you need any
207-542-0834

I am looking to buy a stove and I am very new to this. I work in Waterville Maine and I am wondering what is the best stove I should be looking at for the money. The combo pellet/corn or just pellets? This would be a minimal supplemental heat to my oil fired boiler. I live in a brand new 1300 SF ranch. Any comments are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
John

As far as St Albans Stove Shop goes.....our opinion is top shelf all the way. They installed a Harmon P61A the 13th of this month for us in Hampden. Very fast, efficient and very helping with info on how to run the unit. Have made a couple of follow up calls with questions and they were excellent. I would not hesitate to buy from them again and to have them do the installation. The New England brand pellet is what we have been using (from them) and is doing very well. I looked into Dysarts and they sell Energex at $2.09 a ton for a 3 ton minimum and you haul....$20.00 a ton and they haul. $2.19 a ton if you do not meet the 3 ton order.I believe that the pellets they sell are softwood. I like many in here am just starting in the wood pellet search. This is my first unit and we love it so far. Thanks for all of you putting info in here as well.

I live in Eddington ME (just outside Brewer). Moved up here last winter and was not going to pay $3.20 for oil, installed a breckwell p2700. Ran like a champ all year and heated my large living room, dining room, kitchen, and bedroom on the main floor but wouldn't heat my other bedrooms, which are offset over my garage. I got a screaming deal ($1199 + freight) last week on an enviro mini, so that is where my stimulus check went. It arrives a week from Tuesday.

I can't wait to burn zero gallons of oil to heat my home next winter. Has anyone bought the totes from Dysart's (219 delivered)? I'm wondering how it worked out, did you just use 5 gallon pails to fill your stove? I really want to burn Maine pellets this year (not from a big box store)

My last ton was purchased in the one-ton tote from Dysart's. I wasn't home when it was delivered, but my husband said they had a nice little three-wheeled machine that set the tote on the pallet right down in the garage. We save our pellet bags, and so we just filled them halfway in the garage (about 20 lbs. worth) and brought them into the house that way. It was a little bit more work, but not much. There is a $15.00 deposit on the one-ton tote bag. Congratulations on your new stove.

Moe

I just got off the phone with Granville Supply in Holden....$299.50 per ton...did not ask what they were or if that was with shipping to my home.

Hi, Mainers! I'm even newer than you are to pellets ... I'm hoping to order my stove on Monday :) We've been trying to make sure we can store our pellets in our basement and iron out some other details, and everything looks good. Now I'm thinking about buying something like six tons of pellets in the next few months, so this thread is perfect timing.

We're up in Calais, so that article about someone making pellets in Washington County just made my day. I can wait a year to be able to buy my own pellets down the street--can't beat that! In the meantime, are there any people on this forum from way the heck up/out here in Downeast Maine? We can get pellets from five or six places around here but I don't know about the quality. I'm going to have to go and see exactly what they are selling.

Also, anyone know anything about buying pellets from Canada? One guy here gets his across the river but he said they store them outside under a tarp. Isn't that a big no no? And a friend here who used to live in British Columbia knows someone who may bring a truckload of pellets out here for him and anyone else interested. Someone told me western pellets burned better than ones he got out here on the East Coast. But that's one guy's experience. Anyone else?

It's cold in my old Victorian house. I want my pellet stove now!

Lt, Have you tried Granville STONE in Holden? There are three different stores over at that place and they all sell pellets and all at different prices. I purchased 3 tons from them at the begining of May and they were 219/ton plus $25 delivery charge for up to 10 tons. I wouldn't doubt if they have gone up since then but that seems like a big jump. But then again heating oil has gone up $1+/gal in a short period of time, so maybe it's right. But i know that the stone store have the cheapest prices a few weeks back

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.