Wood Pellets in Central Maine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I just bit the bullet and bought 4 ton at $257 a ton and $20 a ton to have it sent to me. Did not want to wait till the late Summer, early fall and worry about getting pellets and what the price may be. Right or wrong i will have 6 ton plus ready for the heating season. Just me and the first year of heating with pellets....but...wanted to be sure I had them when i wanted them. Anxious I guess...LOL.

Still looking for a good source of pellets in the Bunswick/Topsham or Lewiston/Auburn areas.

Seems like plenty of sources north (Waterville and Bangor) and south, but hard to find around here.

Lowes and HD do not sell them anymore.

Aubachons has them for $280 per ton. (not delivered)

Stove shop in Auburn has them at $260/ton. (not delivered)

????

Hi Tyru,
You may want to check JL Hayes on Minot Ave in Auburn. Purchased 3 tons from them last year and got the Corinth wood pellets. They burned decent, I think they will get better each year of production. Last year they were 250 delivered.(not sure exactly where you are, I was only 7 miles from them) They may charge for delivery depending on milage. Another place to check is Paris famers union which are at 267 according to the sun journal. Again, not sure about delivery if you are outside of Auburn.

tyru007 said:
Still looking for a good source of pellets in the Bunswick/Topsham or Lewiston/Auburn areas.

Seems like plenty of sources north (Waterville and Bangor) and south, but hard to find around here.

????

I bought ten tons at Lowes in Auburn yesterday for $236.50 per ton plus $59.00 delivery to Lewiston.

dupjay21 said:
Lt, Have you tried Granville STONE in Holden? There are three different stores over at that place and they all sell pellets and all at different prices. I purchased 3 tons from them at the begining of May and they were 219/ton plus $25 delivery charge for up to 10 tons. I wouldn't doubt if they have gone up since then but that seems like a big jump. But then again heating oil has gone up $1+/gal in a short period of time, so maybe it's right. But i know that the stone store have the cheapest prices a few weeks back

Jason

I got my three tons from there about two weeks ago for the same price . Corinth Pellets, $219 a ton..$25 delivery. It was a good deal.

Anyone have any suggestions for pellets in south western Maine (Limerick)? Best I have been able to find thus far is $255 per ton, 3 ton maximum, and $100 delivery out of Sanford.

Where is O'Hara's Ice in Biddeford so I can get an estimate on the delivery charge?

Just ordered a boiler, and want to get prepared!

Thanks ~ Jeff

Nikitas said:
tyru007 said:

????

I bought ten tons at Lowes in Auburn yesterday for $236.50 per ton plus $59.00 delivery to Lewiston.

Hey guys,

I confirm that Lowe's in Auburn definately has pellets(although you won't see them out front anymore because they're afraid of them being stolen). I was in there today talking with a Vinny who was very helpful. $236.50 plus $59 for delivery to Lewiston. Here's the best part though: They said as long as I order them now they'll hold off delivering them until September or October so I don't have to take up all that room on my screened in porch until I'm done using it for the season. They were the Greene Team brand, a hardwood pellet. They are located in Garads Fort, PA. Anyone ever burn these before? The salesman said he burned these last year with good luck or so he says. Said they used to buy from a grass seed(?) company(I believe it's Pennington) in the past and had terrible results with those so they went back to the Greene Team brand. I opted to go to Lowes because I just don't have the time or the type of truck it takes to transport these pellets. I really don't want to be handling these bags anymore than I need to.

Mark

compressedwoodsupplier said:
so your spending 300.00 a ton?????? is the 59.00 for a pallet or for the whole delivery??

No, no, no. $59 for the delivery of 3 pallets. Works out to $256.17 per pallet plus tax including delivery in Sept.

Mark

Their allowed to tax for delivery but not the pellets.

compressedwoodsupplier said:
they shouldn't be taxing you since it is for home heating...

Absolutely right on that. Was charged $2.95 tax on the delivery only. Just bought my Harman Accentra today in Auburn. Will be installed sometime in July. The dealer's a little busy at the moment as you would guess.

Mark

Hi this is my first time here and I have lots of questions :) I'm from Waterville Maine and I want to know if some could tell me how large of a pellet stove is needed to heat a small cape with only half an upstairs? Our furnace is on the blink again and we are thinking of getting a pellet stove and getting hot water on demand. Any one from this area have a pellet stove and how do you find the heat and is it not a hot water source right? We have a bolier in our furnace now so we have had absloutely no heat or hot water for the past couple of weeks :(Anyone from here will tell you how cold it still is here. So we need to get facts and make a decision now. Where in Waterville can you buy pellets as we don't have a Sams Club here or a truck to transport them.

Our Taurus wagon transmission is dying or we could do it that way. Ok the
1st question how big stove do we need?

2nd where cheapest pellets are?

3rd is the heat a warm heat as our furnace is oil hot air and miserable heat.

4th would you keep it if you had a choice why or why not?

5th where and what is the best brand of pellets and stoves?

Oh when you say 2:35 or 2:50 is that two dollars and 35 cents or two hundred dollars and 35 cents?dollars
Thanks for helping me out, Barbara

Welcome Barbra!

Let me start by saying, your questions are asked here almost everyday. There's a ton of information here, all you have to do is look.

I don't think I'm up to tackling all your questions, but I will suggest you fix or replace your existing broken furnace/boiler. While a pellet stove would very likely heat your home by itself, I personally would feel better knowing you have a (backup) main central heating system. Some have converted over to central pellet heating, but I'm not sure that's a wise move for everyone at this point.

With that said, in order for someone to suggest a stove size, we'd need to know how many sq. ft. your house is... "small cape" isn't very descriptive for sizing a stove. How well your place is insulated and sealed is another important factor. What condition are the doors and windows in? Where would the stove be located? Is the floor plan fairly open?

1) Based on the generic info you've provided, my guess is you'll probably need a 35k-50k stove to cover most of your heating needs.

2) Since I'm not from your area, I can't tell you where to get pellets from, although there are a couple of web sites you can order from... some of which are mentioned in other recent threads in this forum.

3) My family really likes the heat from a pellet stove, but that's subjective. Generally speaking, I think most people like the quality of heat these stoves produce.

4) I highly recommend pellet stoves for supplemental heating. You can likely get away with using one as your only source of heat, but as I said above, I highly recommend having a central heating system and using it as a backup or addition to your stove.

5) Loaded question! You'll have to do your own homework on what pellets you like best since most people have their own preferences... and every stove typically likes some pellets better than others. Your best bet is to try a few and see which ones you like and then buy those in bulk. If this isn't possible, see what others are using in similar stoves. Stoves? You won't hear many bad things about Harman or Quadra stoves, but see what your local dealer carries and go from their.

Lastly, do your own homework.

Best of luck,
Scot

Hi Barb ! I just purchased 5 tons at $219 a ton from SpringBrook Fuel in Waterville . Family owned biz for 90 years. Pellets are made on RT 150 in Athens so it's a double win . The money stays here . The owners name is Bill & he's a great guy . Good luck & stay on this website for all the help & advice you will need as there are great people on here . Muss

Thanks for your reply. I called Springbrook, we live rather close to there, and they told me the price went up June 1st to 235 ton. $ 5:50 a 40 lb bag.$3o to deliver. You know the wsaying you snnoze you loose :( The furnace repair guy who did something to the furnace in April and it hasn't worked since is coming Sat AM to see if he can tell me why???????????? I hate to keep puting money into fixing things and them not being fixed. I have tried a few heating and pluming guys in the past 10 years and this guy seemed ok as we have had him three times. The poor furnace is about 25 years old so no shame if it died with the hard work it does here in Maine eh. Anyway I wonder if you checked out Lowes or Walmart? Sams Club is surposed to be cheaper but we don't have a membership anymore. Thanks Barbara

sams club maybe be cheaper but you know that saying you get what you pay for. I know the bix box stores that sell pellets arent always the best.
I used to burn the home depot pellets but i found out that there supply was not very consistant (as in the blend of pellets) sometimes it could be a 40%hard wood 50% soft wood and 10% filler of posibably corn. or any other variation of percentages.

Hi I'm new here. I just ordered a new pellet stove today a Quadra-Fire Classic Bay 1200, And I just preordered 3 tons of Corinth hardwood pellets for $191.18. I went through the Maine Pellet Stove Owners Association.

What is the Maine Wood Pellet Stove Association? Is there a website or phone number?

Thanks!

Moe

cantral maine pellet burner here. just put in a napolean nps40 in my mothers house. i put this in after watching my father have his harmon p38 for 3 years and only using 600gal of oil last winter.

we are getting the pellets at lowes in auburn for 237/ton. these are good hardwood pellets from PA. they have a steady stream and wont run out i was told. but im stocking up mom for a couple of years, im done with 2 tons now getting 2 more next weekend. they are going like ho cakes though, they sold 28tons just this sat while i was getting mine.

people who think they will or have burnt more than two tons could you chime in on how big your house is and where the stove is located. dad has his in the cellar and only goes through 1.5-2 tons /winter...

watch out for pellets that have been outside for a while (like at paris farmers)

Status
Not open for further replies.