Wood Pellets in Central Maine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I just bought stove #2...Harman Accentra from St Albans Stove Shop. Only drawback is it will not be available until late Fall. At least I have 1 now wait until the other shows up. This may be overkill but we are going to be warm. 1 in my cellar and 1 on the main floor....and if all goes right..NO OIL.

Just heard back from Kittery Ace hardware.
They secured "several hundred" tons for August-October delivery and they're selling them for 250 per ton with free local delivery.
The guy (Matt) took a little too long to get back to me, so I wound up paying a little more than that from anotehr place in Berwick (244 plus 30 flat rate for delivery)

The sky isn't falling yet. No doubt pellets will likely dry up in January for a month or two, but i'm encouraged by the way the supply is flowing right now.
250 per ton is exactly what Ace charged last year.

Lets see if the Gubbermint can act fast enough to push oil prices down...which will help to curb demand for pellets and stoves!
Drill, Drill, Drill!!!!

I mentioned in another thread that Aubuchon is having a sale on pellets beginning (I think) June 27th for $250 per ton. You can order up to two tons per week.

The warehouse has plenty of them, and they are delivered within a week.

They are Energex. Softwood and hardwood are the same price.

I agree. The prices are encouraging given the demand. I don't think it's fair to compare the price in June to last year's mid-winter price, but I'm not complaining.

I am in the Waterville area and would be interested in being part of a truckload buy. I have 3.5 tons already. Home Depot in Waterville were 224.00 a ton. I am looking for 4 tons more.

Hi, folks -- Brand-spankin' new to this forum.

Could someone tell me how to get in touch with the Maine Wood Pellet Owners Association? I have looked and looked to no avail. I greatly appreciate the information.

Michele

Fox News story is here: http://www.wvii.com/stories.html?sku=20080617120628

Some of the story "Allen Nygren is a former Bangor firefighter who now operates his own emergency response training business in Hermon primarily in the colder months. Now that it’s warm, he can do something else with the space at this shop, store pellets. And he’s decided to sell them at cost to help people save money this winter."

"If you would like to inquire into purchasing some of these pellets, or volunteer to help Nygren keep this venture running longer, you can call 848-3434."

I worked with Al on Bangor for awhile; he's a very sharp guy. We talked about this the other day in fact, he told me he was doing it to save money and didn’t mind storing the pellets when the semi showed up for the other associates to pick the up. He's doing it this year, he wanted to buy a few tractor trailer loads with a few buddies to save money and it’s grown. He doesn’t mind though, anything to screw the big oil. If this messes with his other business he won’t be doing this again, but if the Association works and people volunteer some time he might be doing it again. Of course its best to talk strait to the man himself.

Just so you know I dont know how the purchase works or anything, I just know you have to be ready to haul it yourself.

kilarney said:
I mentioned in another thread that Aubuchon is having a sale on pellets beginning (I think) June 27th for $250 per ton. You can order up to two tons per week.

Skowhegan Aubuchon has sold out of the Energex already. But they've made arrangements with a local mill to get a stream of high quality pellets. I didn't get a price, but I think its similar.

The Aubuchon in Old Town has bags of Corinth pellets, never asked about pallet.

Just ordered 4 tons from Dysarts. I picked the 80% hardwood mix they get from Athens. This is my first purchase of pellets for my new Harman, is an 80% mix a good place to start?

Also for a note, because I wanted the supersack 1 ton bags I should get it in a month. Athens delivers to Dysarts once a month and they start calling down the list. I guess the 1 ton sack list is alot shorter then the 40 pound bag list. I believe the 40 pound bag list goes out 3-4 months.

I bought 1 ton of Energex hardwood pellets at Aubuchons today for $250 in Old Town.

I got the flier in the Mail from Aubuchon last week and spoke with a saleman there that said they are having a sale starting June 30th, limit 2-tons per person, and they were having a trailer load delivered.

So, I got all my stuff together, cleaned up the garage, borrowed a pallet jack & trailer, and off I went.

They didn't have a single pellet!! Said something about there was a fire at the mill and couldn't complete the order. The fire was in May at the Cornith mill. I think it's more of a case that the pellet mills are being stretched beyond their capacity.

I called around to some other places, and nobody had any in stock, and nobody was willing to "pre-buy" because the demand and pricing is so volatile.

I then called the Home Depot in Topsham and talked to them. I spoke with someone in their "garden" department who said they sell a hardwood pellet, but he didn't remember the name of the manufacturer. How do you not know that?

Well, I went ahead and pre-bought through the Home Depot. $249/ton, plus $14 per pallet (you can get that money back if you bring back the pallet) + $59 delivery.

They said they were about 1 to 1.5 months out on delivery due to the waiting list. I just hope they actually come in!!!

Does anyone know what brand of pellets the Home Depot in Topsham is selling? He said he thought they came out of Virginia.

Sam's Club Bangor selling Pennington for $205 a ton.

Hey all,
Newbie here. Looks like Northern lights are selling for $300/Ton (Farmington), Aubochon $249/Ton (Advertised Deal- though no pellets in stock), Springbrook $249 (Waterville). Any other sources you all know about?
Mike

Just heard Dysart's is out of pellets for about 8 weeks :p

Are we at the beginning of a shortage - this early....?

Actually, I apologize - I was not completely accurate in my previous post - Dysart's is not out for 8 weeks. They do however, have an extremely long waiting line. I ordered 3 tons, and there are 1,000 tons ahead of me...

Where in the world does one get information about the Maine Pellet Stove Owners Association ??? :question:

Talked with Sam’s Club Bangor yesterday, they are going to have a pellet open house or what ever the 7-16 in the parking lot. Will have tons of Pennington hard wood to sell, she stated no shortage there. They had 8 tons on hand Wednesday.

Thanks for the Association info thread....

As for the Pennington pellets - I can't find one good review on them - can anyone speak from experience on their performance....?

I used to burn the pellest from Home Depot and had a lot of clinkers in them so just be careful even though the price might be affordable but you will have to deal with the clean up later.

I just read the information about Aubuchon Hardware being out of stock. Makes me glad I ordered my pellets when I did. They thought that I was nuts for spending $10 more per ton when they were going to go on sale in a couple of weeks.

Dysarts, delivered is now $269.00 for 40lbs bags and $229 for 1 ton sacks. Thats up $20 in 1 month.

Status
Not open for further replies.