Wood pellets packaged in a "Burlap Bag"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Would you consider using a reusable burlap bag?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this sounded like a good idea until I actually had to buy pellets in burlap. Other than the fact that they would offer no protection from the elements if you need to store them outdoors, they make a huge mess (both on me when carrying the bag and on the stove as I empty the bag into it). I will absolutely never buy pellets in burlap again, luckily I only bought 5 bags like this.

Attachments

• fines.jpg
    fines.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 213
jdempsey said:
Burlap would wick up the dampness like a sponge.

If one could keep the pellets inside and not stored outdoors.
I think this is a terrible idea.

I have to agree. The only way burlap would make sense is if you could guarantee the pellets would be in a dry, indoor environment from the time they're manufactured until the time they're used - and obviously that's impossible.

i saw these bags at a dealer in acushnet ma and he said they were maine woods.customers were not happy and remaining skids were being sent back.so NO,i would not buy pellets in a burlap bag and i store mine in the basement.how much moisture have they already absorbed sitting in the dealers yard

mr coffee said:
and moisture in?
Good point, it would have to be kept really covered to retain its low misture content. Though the plastic bags we normally see now are also perforated, but not as permeable as burlap.

smilejamaica said:
not if it costs more.i also would have to buy trash bags if i did not have any plastic pellet bags so i dont know if i would consider that going green
Wow, I like that idea smiley, though it would not work for my family of seven! However, I do agree with the first point you made. I'm in it to save money too! The green aspect of it is just another byproduct of my savings. If it was cheaper to buy them like this I would consider it. I doubt that the moisture content of our pellets are really what the manufacturer states by the time we burn them anyway. There are so many cases when the pellets can be exposed to moisture from the plant to the consumer. It would be nice if the pellet consumption really took off and they were transported like oil, in specialized trucks. The pellets would be transported right into a storage tank just like your current oil tanks or propane tanks out there. The trucks would pull up to your house and just fill up your storage bin!!!! Of course, this is a thing of the future (although, big hoppers already exist and are in place in some people's homes)or maybe too far fetched to ever happen. But if it saved a buck why not? I could see big hoppers attached to the sides of people's homes, some covered under little shed like covers, others exposed. Not too crazy right? It would sure beat the cost of foreign fossil fuels and would create jobs here where we need them. As long as pellets were manufactured here and not elsewhere. Anyway, I think anything that brings this green energy source forward is a good idea even if it doesn't take. At least it shows there are people out there who are willing to change the game or bring it further into the future, that's ok with me.

Nope- would not buy pellets in burlap bags.
Don't need pellets to be any more exposed to the elements than they already are.

My plastic pellet bags currently get recycled.

Status
Not open for further replies.