wood pile and stove location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleyjohn

Minister of Fire
Mar 29, 2008
southcentral Ct
Still hoping to have our new Harman insert wood stove installed next week.Here is a pic of where the stove is going and a pic of a wood pile i put together last week.The stack covered on the left was my original for the fireplace.All the wood is cut,split and stacked by me from 3 acres of woodland.

Attachments

• IMG_0262.JPG
    IMG_0262.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0264.JPG
    IMG_0264.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 413
any reason why the stack is so high off the ground or is it just level?

iceman said:

The land slopes down!Height was due to leveling

stanleyjohn said:
iceman said:

The land slopes down!Height was due to leveling

ok you will be happy with the harman i used to own a freestanding and loved it!

So do you go outside every time you need wood or do you have a rack inside that holds a few days wood?

I take it you don't from the title of the post just thought I'd ask.

Nice load of wood and nicely stacked too. FWIW, I'd uncover the sides of the old pile. Was that to keep snow out? A full tarp tends to trap ground moisture in the pile. Usually just a top tarp is sufficient.

I agree. If the wood was cut this winter, leave it uncovered until fall. Then cover only the top of the pile. Let the air get to the wood. Rain and snow hitting the sides will not bother anything as it drys fast there and won't soak into the wood.

That's a nice stack on the right. Good job.

Backwoods Savage said:
I agree. If the wood was cut this winter, leave it uncovered until fall. Then cover only the top of the pile. Let the air get to the wood. Rain and snow hitting the sides will not bother anything as it drys fast there and won't soak into the wood.

so leave my wood completely uncovered until fall??? for green wood or cover just the top... i just want to make sure i do it right

Thanks for all the nice replies :) .My body is a bit sore from all the cutting and splitting ive done the past week.The only tools i have used so far have been my 18" craftsmen chainsaw,full size ax and a splitting wedge.Its hard work but i dont mind it and it helps keep my 50+ body in shape.95 percent of the wood i have cut so far has been from fallen trees or dead standing ones.I am getting a chance to clear my woods of dead wood.The type of trees i have cut are mostly oak,white birch,and maple.A little rot in a few of the cuts!but most is solid,and pretty seasoned all ready.The bark falls off as i split.I cut from an average of 14 to 20 inches long and split 2 to 4 ways depending on the width of the log.This leaves me with wood cut to widths 2 to 6 inches.I do have a large tarp to cover the wood with but debating on how much i should cover due to some of the replies here.The open side of the stack will get pretty wet when it rains or snows because of the wind.In the fall i plan on stacking a few days worth of wood inside my garage which is attached to the house.One large plastic trash can is full of an assortment of dry bark,small wood peices from the split wood and .5 to 1.5 inches diamater dry branches.

iceman said:
Backwoods Savage said:

so leave my wood completely uncovered until fall??? for green wood or cover just the top... i just want to make sure i do it right

I leave the wood covered on top, year round. But it depends on when you intend to use it. If not for another season, then I suppose there isn't a pressing need to cover it. If intending to use it in the fall, then yes cover the top of the pile to stop summer rains from soaking it.

A good wood supply is almost as good as the warm after-glow.

Keeping the stack 8" or more off the ground is really good, as free air-flow underneath keeps the bottom dry and protected from ground moisture. I would do the same on top, with a few spacers, then tarp or pieces of corrugated steel, so you also get air flow across the top. The sides don't matter too much, but its good to have the top covering (corrugated steel works well) overhang the sides to provide a little protection from dripping, etc.

bebratty, yeah, that is basicaly what I do. I like to cover wtih old metal roofing and leave some air space between the wood and the metal

iceman said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Yes, I leave green wood uncovered until fall. Unless you live in an area that gets mostly rain and no sun, it is better to leave the wood uncovered. This will allow for better evaporation. The summer rains won't hurt it at all. Even now, and it is raining hard outdoors, my green wood is uncovered. The only thing that will get soaked is the bark (that is why I stack splits with the bark up) and it dries fast with a little breeze.

Come fall, once it hits the wet season or the daytime temperatures are below 60 degrees, we then cover the top only. We use some steel roofing and some tarps.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.