Wood Pile Pics with a wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spadafore

Sep 4, 2008
northwest ohio
Just a few pics here and a wood ID. I am told it is walnut but the tree did not produce any walnuts. I've read that it is possible. What are your thoughts

Attachments

• new 091.jpg
    new 091.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 480
  • new 092.jpg
    new 092.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 446
  • new 093.jpg
    new 093.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 467
  • new 094.jpg
    new 094.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 451
  • new 095.jpg
    new 095.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 440
spadafore said:
Just a few pics here and a wood ID. I am told it is walnut but the tree did not produce any walnuts. I've read that it is possible. What are your thoughts

Seeing at least two very distinct species of wood.
Reddish one looks like cherry.
Darker one, black walnut.

Showing off with that endless pile? Looks good.

It is possible for those walnut trees to not have nuts. They are probably female trees. That is some beautiful wood! You have cut a bunch of it too. Nice work.

Walnut for sure no doubts!

Nice endless pile of wood. Add that walnut to your collection! :)

spadafore said:

Nice supply of wood.

zap

Backwoods Savage said:
It is possible for those walnut trees to not have nuts. They are probably female trees. That is some beautiful wood! You have cut a bunch of it too. Nice work.

Pretty sure black walnuts have male and female flowers on the same tree - not likely not a 'female' - and if it were female, they would bear the fruit. Cheers!

I see typical-loking walnut in pictures new094 and new095 (on my computer the picture name appears when I scroll over the picture). In new093 I see a typicaly walnut except the wood looks reddish. Mayby it is just the way the picture turned out. the bark on the round in new093 looks like ttpical walnut bark to me.

Backwoods Savage said:
It is possible for those walnut trees to not have nuts. They are probably female trees.

Somebody has to put this in their sig! I can't because I just spit beer over my laptop and probably wouldn't be able to post! :cheese:

Gary

Black Walnut
A single walnut tree rarely produces nuts, multiple trees in a grove to aid pollination.

Black Walnut on both the pics. Great pile of wood there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.