Wood pile progress pictures(Update Pictures 5/20)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
One cord down....

Attachments

• P5050010.JPG
    P5050010.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 1,076
  • P5050012.JPG
    P5050012.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 1,038
One more..

Attachments

• P5050013.JPG
    P5050013.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 981
Nice job, and that is some really nice rounds, looks like a lot of oak.

That is about what I stack my wood on. Blocks either solid 4x8x16" or hollow 6x8x16" and landscaping timbers. I try to get the landscaping timbers on sale for $1.99 if at all possible. With a lot of stacking the blocks and timbers add up in cost. I also at times had to sacrifice some nice lawn(grass). Also, my land is rolling hills so on one end of a 16 ft. run I may have one block half buried and on the other end about 3 blocks high to keep the stacks level. You have some nice wood to work with also. Tony

wood pile cool,but that grass looks very healthy trying to get mine to that point!

smokinj said:
wood pile cool,but that grass looks very healthy trying to get mine to that point!

We've had a lot of rain so far this year, by mid summer it won't be so healthy! I took the day off yesterday from splitting to cut the grass, it was getting out of control as the pictures show.

tonykeller said:
I also at times had to sacrifice some nice lawn(grass). Also, my land is rolling hills so on one end of a 16 ft. run I may have one block half buried and on the other end about 3 blocks high to keep the stacks level. You have some nice wood to work with also. Tony

I have plenty of lawn to "sacrifice" if that means less lawn to cut I'm ok with it. :) It's the area to the side of my drive so it's really the best place that's close to the drive and gets full sun and wind. I lucked out on the wood, I've spent about 100 bucks for it all. Of course that doesn't count the work involved with cutting hauling, loading, unloading etc. I've touch that wood way to much, I have a splitter now so I plan to split right off the trailer from here on out.

rdust, nice work. I wouldn't worry about the grass either.

I'm still stacking on my pile for this year but it would be pretty costly to stack like you do. Blocks plus 2 x 4's. So far I've stacked 8 cord from this past winter. I put 2 poles per 8' (or 8, 8' poles per cord) which means I've already used 48 poles and I'm not done yet. I'll cut another 6 and hope that is enough so I will cut 54 8' poles for under this year's wood piles. Altogether, with our 20+ cords on hand that means a lot of blocking for under the piles!

Backwoods Savage said:
I'm still stacking on my pile for this year but it would be pretty costly to stack like you do. Blocks plus 2 x 4's.

The blocks were a buck a piece and my brother gave me all the 2x4's so far. He's finishing his basement and those are ones he removed from the po's attempt and some of the twisted ones he got from the lumber yard. I'm only planning to do 3 or 4 cords this way so they have the best chance to season. After that I plan to toss on a pallet and stack it loose.

Backwoods Savage said:
My wood processing area is so trodden and covered in bark and saw cuttings that I don't have any grass to worry about. I have a large piece of mill felt laid down to keep the weeds from growing up through the splits.

LLigetfa said:
Backwoods Savage said:
My wood processing area is so trodden and covered in bark and saw cuttings that I don't have any grass to worry about. I have a large piece of mill felt laid down to keep the weeds from growing up through the splits.
i dont worry about it but sure makes the place alot nicer

WoodButcher spies some nice shagbark hickory rounds, ooooh I bet they are heavy.
Save that stuff for the middle of Jan. You will be spoiled burning hickory like that.

WoodButcher

WOODBUTCHER said:
WoodButcher spies some nice shagbark hickory rounds, ooooh I bet they are heavy.
Save that stuff for the middle of Jan. You will be spoiled burning hickory like that.

WoodButcher

You would be correct, the oak rounds are much easier work with though. I haven't been impressed with the way the hickory splits.

Updated pics from yesterday. I have 4 cords down and I figure a couple more to go. The loose thrown pile I had was surprisingly bigger then it looked! The end stacks aren't leaning nearly as bad as the pictures make them look. :)

Attachments

• P5190002.JPG
    P5190002.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 476
  • P5190004.JPG
    P5190004.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 435
Lookin good! That is a lot of nice heat ya have there.

Status
Not open for further replies.