1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wood pile progress pictures(Update Pictures 5/20)

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by rdust, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    One cord down....

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    One more..

Attached Files:

3. Hurricane

Hurricane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NJ
    Nice job, and that is some really nice rounds, looks like a lot of oak.
  4. TKeller

TKeller New Member

Loc:
    western ky. (owensboro)
    That is about what I stack my wood on. Blocks either solid 4x8x16" or hollow 6x8x16" and landscaping timbers. I try to get the landscaping timbers on sale for $1.99 if at all possible. With a lot of stacking the blocks and timbers add up in cost. I also at times had to sacrifice some nice lawn(grass). Also, my land is rolling hills so on one end of a 16 ft. run I may have one block half buried and on the other end about 3 blocks high to keep the stacks level. You have some nice wood to work with also. Tony
  5. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    wood pile cool,but that grass looks very healthy trying to get mine to that point!
  6. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan

We've had a lot of rain so far this year, by mid summer it won't be so healthy! I took the day off yesterday from splitting to cut the grass, it was getting out of control as the pictures show.
  7. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I have plenty of lawn to "sacrifice" if that means less lawn to cut I'm ok with it. :) It's the area to the side of my drive so it's really the best place that's close to the drive and gets full sun and wind. I lucked out on the wood, I've spent about 100 bucks for it all. Of course that doesn't count the work involved with cutting hauling, loading, unloading etc. I've touch that wood way to much, I have a splitter now so I plan to split right off the trailer from here on out.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    rdust, nice work. I wouldn't worry about the grass either.

I'm still stacking on my pile for this year but it would be pretty costly to stack like you do. Blocks plus 2 x 4's. So far I've stacked 8 cord from this past winter. I put 2 poles per 8' (or 8, 8' poles per cord) which means I've already used 48 poles and I'm not done yet. I'll cut another 6 and hope that is enough so I will cut 54 8' poles for under this year's wood piles. Altogether, with our 20+ cords on hand that means a lot of blocking for under the piles!
  9. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    The blocks were a buck a piece and my brother gave me all the 2x4's so far. He's finishing his basement and those are ones he removed from the po's attempt and some of the twisted ones he got from the lumber yard. I'm only planning to do 3 or 4 cords this way so they have the best chance to season. After that I plan to toss on a pallet and stack it loose.
  10. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    My wood processing area is so trodden and covered in bark and saw cuttings that I don't have any grass to worry about. I have a large piece of mill felt laid down to keep the weeds from growing up through the splits.
  11. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    i dont worry about it but sure makes the place alot nicer
  12. WOODBUTCHER

WOODBUTCHER Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pomfret, CT
    WoodButcher spies some nice shagbark hickory rounds, ooooh I bet they are heavy.
    Save that stuff for the middle of Jan. You will be spoiled burning hickory like that.

WoodButcher
  13. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    You would be correct, the oak rounds are much easier work with though. I haven't been impressed with the way the hickory splits.
  14. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Updated pics from yesterday. I have 4 cords down and I figure a couple more to go. The loose thrown pile I had was surprisingly bigger then it looked! The end stacks aren't leaning nearly as bad as the pictures make them look. :)

Attached Files:

15. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Lookin good! That is a lot of nice heat ya have there.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.