Wood pile stacks...location.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just venting here.

Are your piles situated sorta close to the house? I'm having a discussion with myself as to where to put this and put it some where...where it doesn't look like my house is a milling yard. If I put it far enough not to see during the off season, when winter comes, its too hard to get to because of snow accumulation and just the terrain of my yard. Too close, then I get the milling yard effect ( a constant "in progress" look or a MESS). Rather not have that in direct view from the street.

I like the rustic look but with the amount of wood required to burn properly and to season long enough....you'll need many many cords stacked and just seasoning.

I understand. I was able to keep 6 cords mostly unobtrusive but now that I'm upping it to 12, it is becoming the major feature of my yard. Fortunately, my neighbors are being really good about it.

Our closest pile is about 30' away from the house.
3805041944_732db778a9.jpg

Because is has gotten bigger slowly over time I'm thinking of relocating it farther away from the house...in case it got hit by lightning. Right now I wheel barrow to the house in the winter and I really don't mind doing that. Now when I relocate I'll probably be just moving a half a wheelbarrow at a time unless I use equipment...so I dunno. It's been on my mind to do something about it so I probably will in the next couple of years.

Go figure ...when we stacked it against the house it was no big deal. I could have cared less.

My closest piles are also about 30 feet from the house. The farthest piles are 3/4 - 1 mile away. I don't use wood from those when the snow is deep. :lol:
savageactor7 said:
Our closest pile is about 30' away from the house.

Like quads, our piles are both close to the house and far away. But even with the close piles, during the winter we move the wood to right at the end of the porch, under the carport so when we want wood for the stove we just open the door and 3 steps we are right to the wood pile.

To move the wood that is close to the house I use a 2 wheeled cart (Garden-Way type) or else the little trailer that we pull behind the atv. This is done only once every 2 or 3 weeks during the winter so is not a big job and gives a little exercise which is usually needed in winter months anyway.

We keep 4 cords close to the house and any excess at the other end of the parking area. We like to be able to just step outside, go down a few steps and grab a load. Since we live on 7 idyllic acres and have no visible neighbors, we don't have to worry if it's an "eyesore". DH and I have it neatly stacked (as neat as 4 cords can be). It basically obstructs one side of the front of the house, but the house is built into a hillside and the front is on two levels. The wood covers most of the front of the bottom level. We figure that's just the way it has to be and we believe in function over form.

I forgot to mention that in the winter I keep one month's supply on the porch, and a day's worth in the house by the stove. I use my ATV trailer mostly, sometimes the wheelbarrow, and for hauling the day's worth into the house I have a Rubbermaid tote strapped to a hand truck/appliance dolly.

In my case I've got 2 cords currently stacked out back at 10-15 feet from the back porch and another 4-6 cords seasoning up nicely at by buddy's house 5 miles away. My wife is wicked good about this and doesn't say anything about my wood piles (and where I live neighbors aren't an issue -- heck they all heat with wood) . . . but nevertheless I'm building a woodshed so next year's wood will season at my buddy's house and then be moved into the shed to keep things nice and neat (although if the truth be told I may move some wood into the shed to season as it should be large enough to include more than a year's worth of wood and still season.)

I also have a stack of 3 foot long wood stacked in the side of my front yard from my on-going cutting operation down at the fire station (we're clearing land for a fire pond) . . . this wood however will be cut and split and stacked this Fall . . . and then put into the shed in the Spring/Summer . . . kind of a special case.

For you, if you're worried about the mess and stacks of wood everywhere you might want to consider a woodshed . . . it would keep the snow and rain off the wood and "dress" up the wood pile a bit.

My woodshed is behind and to the side of my house, probably about 30 feet away from the house but around a 120 foot walk to the front door. Here is an old pic.

index.php

My wood processing area is out near the road beside my driveway to my house which is set back 250 feet, not visible from the road. The logs get dropped off there, bucked, split, and stacked/tossed to dry before they make their way to the shed.

100_0302.jpg

100_0350.jpg

My pile is about 80 feet away from the front porch. I have a firewood ring on the porch right now and ill probably pile a little more on there come the cold weather. the rest of the stuff is staying in the shed until needed. I just have my pile run along the fence in the backyard. towards the back of the yard i have a small pile of freshly split oak that will be sitting there for the next 2 years, once its ready its going to the shed.

Attachments

• shed.jpg
    shed.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 321
I use an old 4x8 trailer with sides to bring piles to the house during the winter. I pull the trailer with my little lawn tractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.