Wood pile tragedy!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchinpa

Feb 25, 2008
Western PA
I came home from work yesterday to find my woodpile mostly uncovered. It had been raining for 2 or 3 hours, and most of the wood is quite wet! Found tons of deer tracks around the pile. Apparently they were looking for something under the tarp. They knocked 6 of the 8 logs off that were holding the tarp down. Only thing I can think they were after is the grass from the few mouse nests that were under there. Guess all the snow on the ground has them desperate!

I hoping to move off the top several layers after work today, and hopefully there will be some dry wood under there, although I kept it loosely stacked to help with the seasoning process. If not, I may be buying more wood or maybe try the bio bricks till we get a few days of sunshine...

That's just surface moisture and should dry out in a few days under the right conditions. Bring extra in the house to give it some time to dry and start looking at woodshed plans.

Stupid deer!!! First it's your grass, then your flowers, and now firewood!!! What is the world coming to?

I say it's time rename those deer Stew.

pen

I agree...we need to have a world without animals! Who put those stupid animals here in the first place? People must conquer nature and kill all the animals! YAAAAY!

LLigetfa said:
That's just surface moisture and should dry out in a few days under the right conditions. Bring extra in the house to give it some time to dry and start looking at woodshed plans.

+1 . . . No worries . . . Hakuna Matata.

+2 It is only surface moisture.

mitchinpa said:
I came home from work yesterday to find my woodpile mostly uncovered. It had been raining for 2 or 3 hours, and most of the wood is quite wet! Found tons of deer tracks around the pile. Apparently they were looking for something under the tarp. They knocked 6 of the 8 logs off that were holding the tarp down. Only thing I can think they were after is the grass from the few mouse nests that were under there. Guess all the snow on the ground has them desperate!

I hoping to move off the top several layers after work today, and hopefully there will be some dry wood under there, although I kept it loosely stacked to help with the seasoning process. If not, I may be buying more wood or maybe try the bio bricks till we get a few days of sunshine...

After I had a load of logs delivered the deer have been eating the bark off, they are down there every day.

zap

I understand it's surface moisture, but living in Western PA, sunshine, or even dry weather for that matter is a rare sight this time of year. Looking at the forecast, my only hope of it drying out will be in a week or so! If I cant find some wood underneath that is dry, that's a long time to go without the fireplace. The wife is gonna go nuts! I might have to move out till then! ;-)

mitchinpa said:
I understand it's surface moisture, but living in Western PA, sunshine, or even dry weather for that matter is a rare sight this time of year. Looking at the forecast, my only hope of it drying out will be in a week or so! If I cant find some wood underneath that is dry, that's a long time to go without the fireplace. The wife is gonna go nuts! I might have to move out till then! ;-)

Just think of all the heat your going to save by not burning the fireplace.

Is there any bark in there they might find tasty ?

You could towel dry everything. :)

Mmmmm.... venison!

Seriously, surface moisture will easily dry overnight in the house. Even without sun it will usually dry in a few days outside under a carport or shed. You'll probably be able to find drier pieces further down in the pile too.

Hair dryer?

Seriously though, if your wood was seasoned/dry enough to being with, the moisture on the outside of it won't matter.

quads said:
Hair dryer?

Seriously though, if your wood was seasoned/dry enough to being with, the moisture on the outside of it won't matter.

When my wood has some surface moisture I'll just stand a few splits on end near the stove prior to burning. Fixes it right up.

That moisture should dry in a couple of hours stacked next to the stove. i have many times put wet wood right in the stove. As long as it was seasoned to begin with, the water on the outside doesn't matter much.

mitchinpa said:

Split one of those pieces of wood and have a look at how far the rain penetrated-- if you can find it.

Seriously. Everybody else who's posted here is right. A couple hours of rain on your firewood is less than trivial. It's surface moisture only and it dries out in a matter of hours in a warm house. Or minutes in the stove/fireplace.

My grandfather told me that as long as a wood has been aged, it doesn't matter if it gets wet. You can still burn it, just can't start a fire with it unless you split it up into smaller pieces.

I burned a couple a pieces of wet wood today and it burned fine. You'll have to go to the AA equivalent meetings and confess your sin but it will be ok.

maxed_out said:
You'll have to go to the AA equivalent meetings and confess your sin but it will be ok.
Would that be the WWW (Wet Wood Whiners)?

If you wanna whine about wet wood, wait till you get a freaky November rainstorm that shreds your tarps, soaks your wood, turns to freezing rain and entombs the wood in ice, then turns so bitter cold that you need a sledge to bust them apart.

BTDT.

Hogwildz said:
mitchinpa said:

Just think of all the heat your going to save by not burning the fireplace.

Did I read that,wow you need a stove..

I'm with the general consensus: bring in extra wood and let it air dry inside.
Put the tarp back on for now - its gotta help.
(This is why I put my 12 cord in the basement in August!)
Happy burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.