Wood processed and more coming...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwhitnee

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2015
Central Mass, USA
So this summer about four 4 cords stacked for the 17-18 season (left half of the cube, almost all red oak) and finally covered. Love how I recycled the solar cover from the pool. :) Total $ around $510 for the wood.

On the right side of the cube (16-17 season), about 2 cords shagbark and 1/2 cord Norway maple from last July and some random wood from this year. I have Envi blocks if needed.

Luckily I live across the street from a lake- it's usually breezy here. I know drying conditions aren't ideal.

Anyway, so a tree company has been cutting for the town and I stopped by yesterday and gave them my number. Got a call this morning, 3rd on the list for free wood, he should be calling me.

If pine comes my way, would you think if I split it in a hurry it would be ready for the fall? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20160718_150108.jpg
    20160718_150108.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 169
Looks good, might be cutting it close with pine unless its standing dead, been very humid our way this summer.

Reactions: mwhitnee
Some people claim eastern white pine seasons fairly quick - like 6 months ( not ideal but good enough ? ), But I've always given it a year. I (almost always) have some left from last year.

Last edited:
RE: Pine

Assuming you would get the pine now . . . and start burning in late-October or early November . . . I would be doubtful about it being seasoned in only three months via natural seasoning processes.

On the flip side, next year at this time your pine (assuming you end up with pine) should be primo wood and be fantastic for use in the shoulder seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.