Not open for further replies.
  1. Bacffin

Bacffin
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2012
    Loc:
    30 Miles Northwest of Boston
    Does any one use wood processors here? I am thinking too much again. Just wondering if there is some entry level or home owner versions of the big boys.

2. MDFisherman

MDFisherman
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Sep 17, 2012
    Loc:
    So. MD
    I know you can get a wood processing attachment for a skid steer/bobcat

3. Bacffin

Bacffin
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2012
    Loc:
    Yea, that's a nice piece of equipment, but out of my price range for sure :)

4. Jags

Jags
    Moderate Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Loc:
    Northern IL
    Not much on the market that I am aware of in the wood processor category that ain't gonna cost a bunch of jingle. Even getting into the big splitters (think Timberwolf TW5) is pretty pricey for home owner firewood processing.

5. Whitepine2

Whitepine2
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Southern Ma
    Just cobble one together like this one made several years ago cost $800 gathered parts ,4cly diesel,pump,valves begged borrowed from whatever wherever,looked at others and built this. I have split 100's of cords it will cut 30" and split 6 ways works well

Attached Files:

6. 711mhw

711mhw
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 7, 2010
    Loc:
    Western ME
    I'd like to build one, just to build it. But I think that I have gotten to anal about my split size to leave it up to the randomness of a 4 way wedge & gravity. Besides, my splitter (that I built about 33 years ago) & I have a good long term, trusting relationship that I will not disrespect just for a cheap fling with some flashy, new & young and shiney bimbo split.....er!;lol

7. 'bert

'bert
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 18, 2007
    Loc:
    East of the Rockies West of the Rest, North of 49
    Whitepine - how about we see a video post of that bad boy in action !!! I too would like to build one just for the fun of building it and welding experience. I know the economics might not work out, but then again they didn't for my splitter and I couldnt be happier with that.

8. Bacffin

Bacffin
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2012
    Loc:
    ^^^
    Ditto!!

9. Bacffin

Bacffin
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2012
    Loc:
    I have seen this one in action in person. Runs around $10K. And of course you cannot find one used.
    What do you think Jags? Build one like this?

Bruce

10. Bacffin

Bacffin
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2012
    Loc:
    I think the newer series comes with a rocking cradle to lock the chain saw in so you don't have to free hand it.

11. Jags

Jags
    Moderate Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Loc:
    Northern IL
    Well heck yeah.:cool: If the piece of equipment fits - build it. I personally don't process log length stuff (rarely), so a processor really isn't of much need for me. But for the folks that do - man, that has to be sweet.

12. Whitepine2

Whitepine2
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Feb 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Southern Ma
    I don't have any video on this splitter but I can make some as I will be using it as soon as I finish with the smaller splitter and splitting.

13. curtis

curtis
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Dec 6, 2012
    Loc:
    northern michigan
    I have one that I used for my small firewood business. It's made by Dyna products and is the smallest one they make. I don't think it would be wise to buy one for personal use unless you had 3 or 4 buddies that you could go in on it with. You not only have to have the processor but also a loader of some sort to load the logs with. My father in-law has a large machine with a cab on it and a 30ft conveyor,but he does firewood full time and has no other job.

14. Bacffin

Bacffin
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2012
    Loc:
    With the Wallenstein I will not need a loader. I buy my wood by the grapple load. Not to many reviews on it out there. They only started making it in 2010.

15. curtis

curtis
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Dec 6, 2012
    Loc:
    northern michigan
    Ya the wallenstein wouldn't require a loader. A local equipment place has one of them for sale. How much do they get for one?

16. 930dreamer

930dreamer
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Jun 3, 2013
    Loc:
    Amarillo, TX
    The processors are sweet, the wood I find is already cut when it's dropped off at the brush lot. You could process some serious wood on a weekend for sure.

17. Bacffin

Bacffin
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 2, 2012
    Loc:
    They start around $10K. Still need to think about payback time vs. price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.