1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Wood Processors??

Post in 'The Gear' started by Bacffin, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Bacffin

Bacffin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    30 Miles Northwest of Boston
    Does any one use wood processors here? I am thinking too much again. Just wondering if there is some entry level or home owner versions of the big boys.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MDFisherman

MDFisherman Member

Loc:
    So. MD
    I know you can get a wood processing attachment for a skid steer/bobcat

3. Bacffin

Bacffin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Yea, that's a nice piece of equipment, but out of my price range for sure :)
  4. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Not much on the market that I am aware of in the wood processor category that ain't gonna cost a bunch of jingle. Even getting into the big splitters (think Timberwolf TW5) is pretty pricey for home owner firewood processing.
  5. Whitepine2

Whitepine2 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Southern Ma
    Just cobble one together like this one made several years ago cost $800 gathered parts ,4cly diesel,pump,valves begged borrowed from whatever wherever,looked at others and built this. I have split 100's of cords it will cut 30" and split 6 ways works well

Attached Files:

6. 711mhw

711mhw Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western ME
    I'd like to build one, just to build it. But I think that I have gotten to anal about my split size to leave it up to the randomness of a 4 way wedge & gravity. Besides, my splitter (that I built about 33 years ago) & I have a good long term, trusting relationship that I will not disrespect just for a cheap fling with some flashy, new & young and shiney bimbo split.....er!;lol
  7. 'bert

'bert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East of the Rockies West of the Rest, North of 49
    Whitepine - how about we see a video post of that bad boy in action !!! I too would like to build one just for the fun of building it and welding experience. I know the economics might not work out, but then again they didn't for my splitter and I couldnt be happier with that.
  8. Bacffin

Bacffin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    ^^^
    Ditto!!
  9. Bacffin

Bacffin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    I have seen this one in action in person. Runs around $10K. And of course you cannot find one used.
    What do you think Jags? Build one like this?

Bruce
  10. Bacffin

Bacffin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    I think the newer series comes with a rocking cradle to lock the chain saw in so you don't have to free hand it.
  11. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Well heck yeah.:cool: If the piece of equipment fits - build it. I personally don't process log length stuff (rarely), so a processor really isn't of much need for me. But for the folks that do - man, that has to be sweet.
  12. Whitepine2

Whitepine2 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Southern Ma
    I don't have any video on this splitter but I can make some as I will be using it as soon as I finish with the smaller splitter and splitting.
  13. curtis

curtis Member

Loc:
    northern michigan
    I have one that I used for my small firewood business. It's made by Dyna products and is the smallest one they make. I don't think it would be wise to buy one for personal use unless you had 3 or 4 buddies that you could go in on it with. You not only have to have the processor but also a loader of some sort to load the logs with. My father in-law has a large machine with a cab on it and a 30ft conveyor,but he does firewood full time and has no other job.
  14. Bacffin

Bacffin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    With the Wallenstein I will not need a loader. I buy my wood by the grapple load. Not to many reviews on it out there. They only started making it in 2010.
  15. curtis

curtis Member

Loc:
    northern michigan
    Ya the wallenstein wouldn't require a loader. A local equipment place has one of them for sale. How much do they get for one?
  16. 930dreamer

930dreamer Member

Loc:
    Amarillo, TX
    The processors are sweet, the wood I find is already cut when it's dropped off at the brush lot. You could process some serious wood on a weekend for sure.
  17. Bacffin

Bacffin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    They start around $10K. Still need to think about payback time vs. price.