Wood Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelican

Nov 11, 2012
Hi all. I have some logs in my yard I stacked up last spring. It's not a very sunny area and now the logs have some shrooms growing on it. Can I still use the wood or should I chuck it. It's not a ton of logs and I have enough seasoned wood to get me through the winter.

MP

Depends . . . is the wood falling apart with mushrooms growing out of it -- No . . . or at least I wouldn't bother with it. Is the wood still solid and just has some mushrooms growing on it -- Yes . . . go ahead . . . once you get the wood under cover or inside for a few days the mushrooms should dry up and just be more fuel to burn.

might be growing just on the wet ends or bark

cut and split

you won't find any excuses to not get to it here :)

I've got some similar deadfall around here. I just take an axe or something to it to see if it's rotten or not. If it's solid, it's fine. If it's rotten, you'll know it.

Don't eat the mushrooms;sick

depends... Are the Shrooms the happy shrooms? if so, dont burn it, your stove my get all trippy. ;lol

Reactions: zap
Thanks, I think the wood is still solid, just some shrooms on the ends etc.

I had a feeling I would get some funny responses. reminds me of the time in college when I...

nevermind...

MP

Since it's solid, get it split & stacked. Need wood for next burn season ?
Taking pictures helps the wood dry ;)

Is this by any chance oak? Quite typical for that. Cover the stacks on the top and forget about it.

Since it's solid, get it split & stacked. Need wood for next burn season ?
Taking pictures helps the wood dry ;)
Yeah, that's really good advice. The sooner split, the better.

I wish I'd known about the pictures, though. Now you tell me...;hm

I'd use it if it seems solid. When splitting you'll find some that will split and maybe other stuff that crumbles rather than splits. I toss away the crumbly stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.