Wood rack or shed design?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
snowleopard said:
That shed is a thing of beauty. What do you have in there for a floor? Is the ridge flashed? I'm used to seeing a little more overhang with the roofing. How's that working out?

Are you addressing this question to me, Carbon Liberator or someone else?

firefighterjake said:
snowleopard said:
That shed is a thing of beauty. What do you have in there for a floor? Is the ridge flashed? I'm used to seeing a little more overhang with the roofing. How's that working out?

Sorry for the confusion there--that would be you, Jake.

Some of these seem to have too much in the way of side walls, for my taste; you want lots of airflow. I've built a couple, each of which holds about a cord (if I calculate correctly). The plan is to burn one per winter, so wood (that I fill one with in the spring) has 1.5 years to cure.

Mine have a base of 2x8s lagged together; four 8ft-long pieces (plus end pieces) to hold two rows of wood. These sit on a base of 6 cinderblocks. Four 6ft high 4x4s hold up the roof, which is framed with 2x6s and covered with metal.

Carbon_Liberator said:
Or even a bomb shelter. You never know when those war mongering Americans will attack! :bug: They'll never find us down there, right?

Right. Sit down there with your bleach bottles and paint cans until you get curious, stiff, bored and annoyed, and you'll come up to find we've taken over the Vancouver beaches and cafes. Wait a minute . . .

So Rusty, I really like the notion of having a year's worth of wood per shed; simplifies a lot of things. How do you construct your walls?

snowleopard said:
firefighterjake said:
snowleopard said:

Sorry for the confusion there--that would be you, Jake.

Ah . . . thanks for the compliment.

Floor is made up of rough cut cedar planks over 2 x 10s or 12s stringers (I forget which) with cement block or rocks every 4 feet or so for support underneath (figured there is a lot of weight). So far so good . . . I don't have any cracked or sway in the floor.

I was cheap and didn't flash the ridge . . . just took three tab shingles, flipped them around and nailed them and then applied a liberal amount of roofing cement/tar to the nail holes . . . it isn't all that fancy or pretty, but it does the job -- cheap and no leaks.

Overhang . . . I think it's either a 3 or 4 foot overhang . . . I get little to no snow penetration . . . stacks of wood on that end are pretty much snow free.

Overall I'm really quite happy with my shed . . . I mean it isn't as fancy as fossil's shed (now that is a thing of beauty -- you would love that shed) . . . and sometimes I think it would be really nice to add a flood light, interior light and electricity . . . but then I realize . . . it's just a woodshed . . . I'm not planning on living in it.

Here's mine, nothing fancy, but does the job.

Attachments

• IMAG0096.jpg
    IMAG0096.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 434
Yarzy, here's a link to my shed build from last spring.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/54742/
I wish I had done this 3 years ago. Or 4.
I didn't perfectly square the layout and the roof could probably use a little steeper pitch, but it's doing well so far.
I plan to remove the wall planks and do the wall framing more like a stud wall, then reinstall the planks. The way they are now, the walls are bowing a little because I stacked right against them in spots.
As George says, HTH. :coolsmile:

Here is my first post on this site and a picture of my new 14x24' shed that holds my tractor and about 20 cords of wood around the walls and in the middle. Now I have to fill it up with firewood.

I also included a picture of my old shed.

Attachments

• DSC00622.jpg
    DSC00622.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 332
  • B7800 with wood.jpg
    B7800 with wood.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 325
Status
Not open for further replies.