Wood rack project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gac17

Feb 23, 2013
Ct
Just thought I'd share my project for the weekend. Being on a small suburban lot I needed to maximize the capacity and aesthetics of my wood storage. This is my first shot at building a good rack. It should work out to hold a little over a cord and a quarter. My goal is to put another 2 or 3 around the garage, maybe make one a larger to accommodate 3rd row. It's got a clear poly carbonate roof to let the sun shine on the wood all day long.

Anyone have any ideas to improve the design the next time around?

photo (5).JPG

photo (4).JPGphoto (6).JPG

I would put 2 vertical 2 x's on the ends to make it easier to stack the 2 rows. Also, running the ribs on the roof material horizontally instead of vertically, may not works so well. When you get it full, you may find you need some diagonal bracing as well.

All great ideas, next time its not loaded I will add 2xs to the end, should indeed make it easier. The plan is to add bracing as needed.

I completely agree about the roof, though the material is difficult to cut and quite expensive, figured I'd give it a shot the easy way first. I may try to prop up one side if precipitation o it becomes an issue.

Thanks Chief!

Reactions: tfdchief
gac that rigid plastic is strong but consistent weight can weigh it down and eventually crack it. I would add at least 2 more supports and re- spread them just to be safe. I have had a couple friends here in Michigan have that problem on there porches after only one or two years. Also a beer holder on the end is always good....

Pete

gac 17 = looks good nice little storage as others have said maybe add a couple more side boards to stop the wood from coming out , if the roof does hold water just prop one end up an inch or 2 to give it run off , also to cut that poly roofing stuff ive cut heaps of it in the past and best way ive found was a trick from an old timer , he told me to use a pair of long bladed pruning shears = he was right cuts excellent and straight .. cheers

The roof on my rack/shed is run horizontally as well and it has worked fine. On a slope water will run no matter what. Looks like it's working good for you! Definitely add some horizontal roof supports and posts on the sides for easier stacking and you'll be good to go

What's the issue with running the ribs horizontally? The angle looks steep enough that it won't affect water flow

Status
Not open for further replies.