wood rack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Stoveandwood.gif

Not that good of a picture I guess as I tried to get the stove in the picture too to show how close the wood is to the stove. I was not going to light a fire this morning even though it is 32 outdoors but the ornery one said to go ahead lest she get chilled. Just getting out of hospital, she needs to be comfortable so I lit a fire. I had already turned the draft down because the flue temperature had reached 450 degrees so the setting is on 2 (half way. I don't know if it is half closed or half opened). But anyway, it shows that we can just slide the door open, grab some wood and put it into the stove. She had wanted sliding glass doors and a small porch there for many, many moons so this year she finally got it. I have to admit that I too like it.

Nice setup. One thing I have heard/read is that you always want to have some wood inside, at least a day's worth, and put warm wood on the fire vs cold wood. I've seen your posts and know you're a serious burner with lots of great seasoned wood...so any truth to this or does it really not make a difference?

Awesome Stove....Wood rack just not as pretty!

Nice set up Dennis. Keep things warm. And enjoy that stove! How is the weather besides the temperatures. Finally getting past all this rain here, I think. Now we just have a nice cloud covered sky! :roll:

Manitoulin Maples said:
Nice setup. One thing I have heard/read is that you always want to have some wood inside, at least a day's worth, and put warm wood on the fire vs cold wood. I've seen your posts and know you're a serious burner with lots of great seasoned wood...so any truth to this or does it really not make a difference?

I've never noticed a difference whether cold or warm wood was put into the fire. I don't like a day's worth of wood in the house either as we usually get some moths and/or insects of some kind. Most claim if the wood is dry you won't have bugs. I highly disagree. For example, I just moved a bunch of wood into the barn from that 2009 stack and even towards the top of the stack we found some bugs....and the wood is extremely dry. The bugs just scurried down to the lower levels. If you have wood stacked, you'll have some bugs so our wood stays outside except the wife likes to bring in a little extra at night for the morning fire.

Jay, I was thinking about that thread on the ugly wood sheds when I put that thing together. lol I did cover the top with some of that galvanized roofing to keep snow off.

Backwoods Savage said:
Manitoulin Maples said:

I've never noticed a difference whether cold or warm wood was put into the fire. I don't like a day's worth of wood in the house either as we usually get some moths and/or insects of some kind. Most claim if the wood is dry you won't have bugs. I highly disagree. For example, I just moved a bunch of wood into the barn from that 2009 stack and even towards the top of the stack we found some bugs....and the wood is extremely dry. The bugs just scurried down to the lower levels. If you have wood stacked, you'll have some bugs so our wood stays outside except the wife likes to bring in a little extra at night for the morning fire.

Good to know, thanks!

Looks good Dennis. You will enjoy that porch! Temps here just a bit above yours, and the "Commish" says keep the fire going. It feels good with her RA flaring up lately. Funny, we put in the little Hampton in the Kitchen to help out in that end of the house when it gets really cold, since that was to hardest area for the Buck to heat. I have found that I can keep it going a lot more during this marginal period because of it's size. Haven't lit the Buck yet. Working out pretty good.

I like the shot Dennis. It looks like a nice setup. And you can almost hear the stove going, "Hmmm, dinner".

take some more pictures of that soapstone stove..........love to see it's size, style.........

-Soupy1957

Does the front glass of that fireview open? Does it stay that clean on it's own or did you just shine it up for the photo-op?

Looks great.

pen

Backwoods Savage said:
...She had wanted sliding glass doors and a small porch there for many, many moons so this year she finally got it...

Looks to me like she got the sliding glass doors and the wood got the porch. :p

Backwoods Savage said:
Not that good of a picture I guess as I tried to get the stove in the picture too to show how close the wood is to the stove. I was not going to light a fire this morning even though it is 32 outdoors but the ornery one said to go ahead lest she get chilled. Just getting out of hospital, she needs to be comfortable so I lit a fire. I had already turned the draft down because the flue temperature had reached 450 degrees so the setting is on 2 (half way. I don't know if it is half closed or half opened). But anyway, it shows that we can just slide the door open, grab some wood and put it into the stove. She had wanted sliding glass doors and a small porch there for many, many moons so this year she finally got it. I have to admit that I too like it.

Looks great Sav, nothing like a porch for some great relaxation and if you don't listen to Judy you will be sleeping out there.

zap

Can't get much closer than that!

Looks like that rack is going to work out well. Looking at your stove, the soapstone looks a couple shades darker than any of my stoves. Looks nice.

pen said:
Does the front glass of that fireview open? Does it stay that clean on it's own or did you just shine it up for the photo-op?

Looks great.

pen

Glass does not open. I clean the glass maybe 2 time per year. It only gets some fly ash on it so is very easy to wipe off.

Status
Not open for further replies.