Wood racks finally full (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg D

Nov 20, 2011
Eastern PA
Hi all,

I finally filled my woodracks (still splitting by hand). Looking forward to my first year of using seasoned wood. The racks are made from narrow scaffolding, pallets, galvanized roofing, rubber roofing, and 4x4's (all scrounged). Shack at the end keeps my tractor dry. Tractor clubhouse gives the kids something to play in while I am splitting (they like to help too), and the rounds that I don't want to deal with now make great "lilly pads" and drawbridge holder. The wall of logs waiting to be split also serves to hide all of my junk from view from the kitchen window.

Thanks for all the great info on this site!

Greg

001 (640x480).jpg002 (640x480).jpg003 (640x480).jpg004 (640x480).jpg005 (640x480).jpg006 (640x480).jpg

thats great...how many cord to you guesstimate you have there?

scaffolding and metal roofing?

that's just about a woodshed !!

beautiful stacks

great looking stacks

In pic 3 it reminds me of the mousetrap game where you roll the log down the slide to start a chain reaction

Nice job, pretty clever racks you have, good for drying and keeps the snow and rain off the top. Looks like a great playground for the kids.

thats great...how many cord to you guesstimate you have there?

About 5 cord in the racks, 2 cord in the log wall and not sure how much in the pile that's left from the clearing of the land prior to the building of our house. It's all a mix of walnut, ash, maple, oak, poplar, sassafrass, cedar, beech, birch...

I like the tractor shed.

By the looks of those stacks, seems we have another Firewood Hoarder's Club candidate here! Great looking stacks, sure to keep you warm this winter. Love the "shed" too, nothing like recycling stuff. One man's trash is another man's treasure....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Gonnna be a new world burning well seasoned wood this winter. ;)
Nice stacks & wood rack/shed
The rounds will start seasoning as soon as you get them split LOL :)

Nice set Up & good fun & exercise for the kids

Welcome to the forum Greg. You have a nice lot of wood and I really like how you have that one stack covered. I do hope that wood has been split for a long time but if not, you will learn quickly that the wood does not dry much until it has been split. That is why we like to split the wood when cut or shortly thereafter. In our case, we cut in winter and split in spring. Then we give the wood 3 years minimum to dry before burning. It has many advantages by doing it this way and the biggest is that you get more heat from the wood and no worries of creosote.

Way cool for you and the kids!;)

You have the best of all worlds. The kids have a great play place, you have a very neat and useable space for splitting and stacking. Great use of space and enjoy the DRY wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.