Wood Racks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lfunk11

Jan 8, 2010
Morgantown, WV
I am ready to buy a wood rack and I thought I would seek some input from those more experienced.

I want a rack that is covered and can keep anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 a cord on our deck. I can build something, but I would rather have something that looks nice since it will be a permanent fixture on our deck. I have looked around some and it seems like this product is well reviewed and I like that the wood is still open at the bottom to allow airflow. Anyone have this product or recommend something different?

http://www.amazon.com/8ft-Woodhaven...1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1320687185&sr=1-1

I thought about getting something like this as well to try and control some of the mess of bringing wood in the house.

http://www.amazon.com/Panacea-634555-Fireplace-Log-Tote/dp/B000VB9JK0/ref=pd_bxgy_hg_img_b

The tote thing I have, Does it lower the mess? I suppose, but not by that much, at least not for me. Maybe I am just a slob.

Shawn

I think you could build something out of wood that would look as good, if not better than the rack system . . . and be a lot cheaper.

I've used the tote since starting to burn wood . . . it cuts down on some of the mess . . . but it's not 100% fool-proof.

firefighterjake said:
I think you could build something out of wood that would look as good, if not better than the rack system . . . and be a lot cheaper.

I've used the tote since starting to burn wood . . . it cuts down on some of the mess . . . but it's not 100% fool-proof.

I can build the rack, but I am not sure the best way to cover it. Our deck is a major part of our house and surrounds half the house so I want whatever I use to look nice. I think if I built something i would have to buy a cover for it and those go for at least $50 for something decent. Most of the racks I have seen that people have built do not look this nice - I might just be partial to a metal rack though.

Wow, that Rack is expensive! $178 for an 8 foot long rack sure seems crazy to me.

I use a similar "tote" - that being a canvas bag. I find it does a pretty good job containing the mess.

I have a wood haven rack in 8 and 4 foot that I got on a trade. Nice racks really.
The covers are a bit brittle but I have no idea how old the racks are.
I like the racks though. All my other racks are 2x4 homemade, and bigger :)

Ifunk, check craigslit, sometimes I see those expensive racks for sale cheap, either they switched to pellets or bought a house and it was left behind. If not, I would buy a good cover and build a rack that the cover would fit, still much cheaper.
I have the tote too, probably most of us do, it does its job.

I guess I will look at some plans to build a rack and buy the cover - I really wanted the $200 one, but I guess its not worth the money. Now if I could find a reasonable splitter on craigslist I would be a happy boy.

No, I did not buy a wood rack but just put one together using 4 2 x 4's and a handfull of screws. Sorry you can't see the whole thing but I don't think it is that ugly. Well, not ugly except for those things the wife tends to let lay around, like that bag and bucket.....

Stoveandwood.jpg

lfunk11 said:
I am going to try and build something this weekend. I will post a pic if it looks decent :) I need to order a nice cover for it though

The "new-improved" covers have zippers (ugh!). My covers have velcro closure.

I have a rack like that and you have to put the feet on something so they don't sink. Now I just prefer laying down treated 2x6's and the rack is just a nuisance.

I stack splits between two of the posts holding up the room that is above the deck. Do you have two conveniently placed posts? One nice thing about stacking between posts is that the posts where the horizontal members are attached is the strongest part of the deck (as compared to stacking on the same horizontal members farther from the posts). I worry about the weight of the wood on my deck, even though I built it myself and i am sure it is more than strong enough. Wood is heavy.

Wood Duck said:
I stack splits between two of the posts holding up the room that is above the deck. Do you have two conveniently placed posts? One nice thing about stacking between posts is that the posts where the horizontal members are attached is the strongest part of the deck (as compared to stacking on the same horizontal members farther from the posts). I worry about the weight of the wood on my deck, even though I built it myself and i am sure it is more than strong enough. Wood is heavy.

Yup - check this chart for wood weights: Sweep's Library - wood BTU's & wood weight

It's nice to see a larger rack every once in a while.

Try not to drool on the wood.

billb3 said:
Try not to drool on the wood.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.